"Where others have failed, Key West SECEDED" Top 5 Page for this destination Key West by 850prc

Key West Travel Guide: 2,067 reviews and 4,182 photos

Next stop is Cuba

Key West is proud of its status as THE southernmost point in the continental United States. When you reach this point at the southwest corner of Key West, you are only 90 miles away from Cuba.

As for Key West, it's about the most laid-back, anything is cool town in America. If marching to the beat of a different drummer is your rhythm, then you'll like the beat of Key West.

If you like rules and regulations, lots of regimentation and feel that half of each day (the dark half) should be for sleeping and generally being quiet, you might want to vacation elsewhere. <g>

Proud of their adopted sons and daughters

Many famous people have adopted Key West as their home away from home. Almost everyone knows that Papa Ernest Hemingway spent many of his most productive years in Key West.

But, our 33rd president (and one of my favorite Democrats), Harry S. Truman, spent almost 180 days of his presidency IN Key West, residing at a lovely old place known affectionately as "Truman's Little White House". I will write a separate little tip on TLWH, so check it out.

This photo was taken near Mallory Square, at the northwestern tip of Key West. They've built a sculture garden honoring many of the town's most famous citizens and visitors. Here, you'll find pchamlis and Harry discussing the pros and cons of the Truman Doctrine. :)

The Conch Republic

OK, what is all of this seceding business? Well, as any student of history knows, America fought a civil war some 140 years ago. Part of what was decided in that bloody war was that no state may secede (or leave) from the union. Once you're in, you're in. :)

Well, Key West seceded from the United States in the early eighties, mostly as a publicity stunt. What happened was that the US government shut down a highway passage point for a while, and it really ticked off the Key West citizenry. So, their town council passed a resolution seceding from the United States. At that point, Key West proclaimed its independence, and adopted the official name "The Conch Republic".

The commander of the local naval base had been invited to the meeting in which the secession vote was taken, as the citizens had something very special in mind. One minute after Key West seceded from the US, thereby declaring war ON the United States, the town council quickly surrendered to the Admiral. THEN, the town council immediately requested four billion dollars in US economic aid, as is usually due a defeated foe. ;)

These Conch Republic folks are a hoot.

• Pros:Laid back, relaxing, audacious, different and fun
  • Cons:HOT and HUMID. Can't decide if it's more HOT or more HUMID.
  • In a nutshell:Everyone should spend a long weekend or two here during their lifetime
  • Last visit to Key West: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Aug 15, 2006

• May 20, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I very much enjoyed the stop in Key West. We took a jet ski tour around the island that was SO much fun. We had about ~1-1/2 hours to kill while waiting for the tour...we looked and asked around for the blonde giraffe...I looked up the number and called...they are no longer in Key West! Bummer! I tried.. Well, I wished I had more time there...maybe next time. Take care!!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2010 at 2:23 PM

What a lot of tourism down there, and the weather could be nice at times, I am sure. We never got that far down, but maybe one day we can. Great presentation of the keys.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I've never been to the Keys. Next time I'm down there, I have to make it a priority. ~

• Sep 16, 2008 at 11:58 AM

what genius would bring their kids to key west in the first place?

• Sep 12, 2008 at 3:16 AM

Great information in your web site!

• umashanker's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2008 at 6:52 AM

Remember the maine, also reminds the beginning of sensastional journalism.Intersting history indeed.

• mafootje's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 9:46 PM

i did go all the way in Key West, but only once. It's a nice marker but to big for my liking ;)

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2007 at 9:33 AM

You made me LOL reading your comment on my HP! Thanks for making my day. I'll feel sexy in your honor next hot flash!

• Jun 2, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Thank you for taking time to share your adventures and recommendations for Key West! We have been there once before but plan on going back again this year and a refresher/update was exactly what was needed. Lori & Brad

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2007 at 8:00 AM

LOVE your reviews! They are very well written. I'm planning my next trip to KW next month and I'm planning to check out some of your spots (especually ice cream!)

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Key West

Have you been to Key West?

Latest Activity in Key West