"Where others have failed, Key West SECEDED" Top 5 Page for this destination Key West by 850prc
Key West Travel Guide: 2,067 reviews and 4,182 photos
Key West is proud of its status as THE southernmost point in the continental United States. When you reach this point at the southwest corner of Key West, you are only 90 miles away from Cuba.
As for Key West, it's about the most laid-back, anything is cool town in America. If marching to the beat of a different drummer is your rhythm, then you'll like the beat of Key West.
If you like rules and regulations, lots of regimentation and feel that half of each day (the dark half) should be for sleeping and generally being quiet, you might want to vacation elsewhere. <g>
Many famous people have adopted Key West as their home away from home. Almost everyone knows that Papa Ernest Hemingway spent many of his most productive years in Key West.
But, our 33rd president (and one of my favorite Democrats), Harry S. Truman, spent almost 180 days of his presidency IN Key West, residing at a lovely old place known affectionately as "Truman's Little White House". I will write a separate little tip on TLWH, so check it out.
This photo was taken near Mallory Square, at the northwestern tip of Key West. They've built a sculture garden honoring many of the town's most famous citizens and visitors. Here, you'll find pchamlis and Harry discussing the pros and cons of the Truman Doctrine. :)
OK, what is all of this seceding business? Well, as any student of history knows, America fought a civil war some 140 years ago. Part of what was decided in that bloody war was that no state may secede (or leave) from the union. Once you're in, you're in. :)
Well, Key West seceded from the United States in the early eighties, mostly as a publicity stunt. What happened was that the US government shut down a highway passage point for a while, and it really ticked off the Key West citizenry. So, their town council passed a resolution seceding from the United States. At that point, Key West proclaimed its independence, and adopted the official name "The Conch Republic".
The commander of the local naval base had been invited to the meeting in which the secession vote was taken, as the citizens had something very special in mind. One minute after Key West seceded from the US, thereby declaring war ON the United States, the town council quickly surrendered to the Admiral. THEN, the town council immediately requested four billion dollars in US economic aid, as is usually due a defeated foe. ;)
These Conch Republic folks are a hoot.
- Pros:Laid back, relaxing, audacious, different and fun
- Cons:HOT and HUMID. Can't decide if it's more HOT or more HUMID.
- In a nutshell:Everyone should spend a long weekend or two here during their lifetime
Key West truly is an accomodating and laid-back little burgh. Everyone is welcome and for the most part, everyone gets... more travel advice
You know the old joke about being in a little town where they roll up the sidewalks at night? Well the Key West... more travel advice
- See All The most famous bar in Key West
- See All A NICE-lookin' bed and breakfast
- See All The SEEDS' grandparents came from Cuba
850prc's Related Pages
Key West Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Parents of a "Conch""
- "key west florida"
- "Where others have failed, Key West SECEDED"
- "Key West, Florida"
- "Key West Driving Trip May 3-12, 2003"
- "On the road to Key West & Fantasy Fest 2006"
- "The Key to my Heart; Key West, Florida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Key West
- Hotels in Key West
- Transportation in Key West
- Nightlife in Key West
- Restaurants in Key West
- Shopping in Key West
- Warnings and Dangers in Key West
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Key West
- 41 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Key West?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Key West
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- updated a Key West Travelogue "Waiting out the sunset at Mallory Square"
- Commented on one of jelw's Key West travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Conch Train"
- Wrote a Review A very tolerant town about Manners in Key West Local Customs
Photos in Key WestSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues