"Can you guess WHY they call it Marble, Colorado??" Marble by 850prc

Marble Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 8 photos

Marble, Colorado....home of some famous marble

The small town of Marble, Colorado is hardly a hiccup on today's maps. But it represents a rock solid contribution to America's history.

A local marble quarry, now pretty much dormant due to economic reasons, produced some of the world's finest marble. Much of their product was shipped overseas to Italy, to be turned into fine statuary.

And, marble from Marble was used to build both the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier(s) and the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Nice little town these days. Not many people, but lots of good will and pride. BTW, my mother and (step)father-in-law live nearby.

• Pros:A tiny little town with a great deal of historical interest
  • Cons:Wayyyyyyyy out of the way
  • In a nutshell:If you're in the neighborhood, it's worth an hour's visit
  • Last visit to Marble: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2004

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Hi Pete, this looks like a nice little town where your in-laws live. I also like the sound of Crystal, that ghost town, but don't think I'd want to drive there. Hope to see you again in October at the book fair.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2006 at 8:26 AM

Sounds absolutely wonderful. Old fashioned and no tourists!!

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2004 at 8:02 AM

Hi Pete, Marble sounds intriguing, but I don't think I'd arrive in a plane! But I have 1 question - if the town of Marble is named after marble, what is the town of Crystal named after............... Another mystery of life!! Thanks for sharing.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2004 at 12:25 PM

Very interesting stuff! Excellent updates. We haven't done our new Colorado pages yet, but will get around to it eventually. We'll be back to see more of yours.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 3:13 PM

Sure looks like an interesting area!! Like a step back in time!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2004 at 3:53 AM

Umm - that smoked trout sounds delicious! Your description of the drive up to the ghost town sounds very inviting, I like a challenging mountain road with a few drop-offs!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2004 at 4:51 PM

Another excellent write-up of a little known place. Sometimes these experiences are the best experiences when we look back on our travel "life".

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2004 at 3:22 PM

Great pic of you on your Intro page, Pete. I want to try some of Charlie's trout. If I stop by Marble, will you tell Charlie it is OK to feed me? I don't bite and I'll even clean up after myself. :)

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Marble