"Black Forest...... I used to live here!" Black Forest by 850prc

Black Forest Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 10 photos

Ponderosa Road, Black Forest

As I was growing up, my father was in the US Air Force, serving as a hospital administrator. We lived all over the country, as well as one foreign assignment. (Bermuda)

My FAVORITE place we ever lived was Black Forest, Colorado. Back in 1966, the Forest was a sleepy western/rural hamlet of dirt roads and horse-loving residents, some 30 miles NE of the center of Colorado Springs. It was truly a throwback to simpler times.

Kids here rode horses instead of bicycles, for example. It was a great place to be a kid.

I enjoyed my return in June of 2004, even finding my old house. The people who now live there were very kind and even allowed me to photograph the interior of the home. Thanks Jack and Lonnie!

I was horrified at what has happened to Black Forest. Metro Colorado Springs is only about five miles away, with mile after mile of ugly tract housing gobbling up the empty plain. The Forest will fall within five years, which is sad. I'm glad I got one more look. I hope you enjoy my little page, too. Mostly, it's a slice of my boyhood. : )

You can see the doom approaching the Black Forest

• Pros:For me, very happy memories of a great boyhood home
  • Cons:It's being quickly ruined by development.
  • In a nutshell:It's too late for change, but Black Forest was a great home
  • Last visit to Black Forest: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 6, 2007

• Aug 12, 2009 at 12:12 AM

I read: ...I used to live here!... means that must be a great place!

• MD2nd's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2009 at 9:38 AM

Amazing read your "Try to find out what Black Forest used to be" tip. Can hear ya. Germany's Black Forest seems to be doin' ok yet.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2005 at 12:08 PM

Never knew there was a place called Black Forest in the U.S. Too bad it's being gobbled up by those housing developments (with garages but no stables, I assume). The Black Forest in Germany is still pretty much intact, by the way, thanks to zoning laws.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2005 at 12:31 PM

Such a shame times are changing for the worst in your old hometown. Hope you can still keep your good memories alive, looks a lovely place. (~_~)

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 7:02 PM

I'm glad I found this page. I was thinking about visiting there on a day trip this November when in Conifer for Thanksgiving. I guess we'd better see it before it's too late. Thanks for the tip. Marcia

• erikatheskysailor's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2005 at 3:46 PM

Oh, that looks like such a sweet little town grow up in. :) Damn that urban sprawl; it is a poisonous epidemic. It truly disgusts me. It's already ruined many areas here in NE Ohio.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2005 at 8:01 AM

What a beautiful bunch of daisies on your intro! I love flowers and a beautiful photo of them always catches my eye and my breath.

• sswagner's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2005 at 2:58 AM

I remember riding through the forest on a bicycle towards Colorado Springs. Hopefully, the forest will find a way to survive the development. so many places are suffering that fate these days.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2004 at 5:54 AM

Honest tip - well written.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2004 at 4:49 PM

Outstanding page, Pete. I really enjoyed reading your introduction. Got a lump in my throat thinking about how something so beautiful and innocent could be destroyed. Great B&B tip.

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Black Forest

Have you been to Black Forest?