"San Francisco, a true city of the world" San Francisco by 850prc

San Francisco Travel Guide: 9,131 reviews and 19,433 photos

A city with many recognizable symbols

San Francisco is home to many well-known geographic and architectural landmarks.

One of the more famous is the TransAmerica pyramid, still one of the more unique and beautiful skyscrapers in the world, some 35 years after its building.

Fisherman's Wharf

The Fisherman's Wharf area is ripe with color and history. AND, if you're into a good seafood meal, you've come to the right part of town.

Chinatown, an important part of this "world city"

The large enclave of Chinatown is the largest of many ethnic and cultural neighborhoods within San Francisco and the northern Bay area.

Chinatown is an interesting and varied spot to visit. Depending on the shops you visit, you'll find junk or treasure, but you'll certainly find a good time.

If you're hungry, grab lunch somewhere, but if you really want a great Chinese dinner, leave Chinatown and proceed to the Mandarin Restuarant in the Ghiradelli Square area. One of THE best around!

• Pros:The absolute epitome of world cosmopolitan spirit, right here in the USA!
  • Cons:It's definitely "out there".
  • In a nutshell:Probably the most beautiful and interesting city in America.
  • Last visit to San Francisco: Sep 1991
  • Intro Updated Apr 2, 2003

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2011 at 6:45 AM

San Francisco definately has a lot of known landmarks indeed. Well written and nice pictures too!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2009 at 5:28 AM

Sausalito is where I think I would spend time if I returned to San Francisco. (notice I didn't shorten it) We brought the kids to the Japanese Tea Garden in the park and had such a fun time. Guess everyone enjoys that city.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 11:01 AM

We've heard many comments about the 'chilly weather' near the Golden Gate bridge, so we'll be prepared...but can't wait to see it this year! Regards from Texas...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2006 at 1:45 PM

The TransAmerica Pyramid hadn't even been built yet when I lived in the Bay Area. (I worked in Berkeley for several years before coming over here.)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2005 at 7:08 AM

Great hotel; nicely done, Pete. I LOL at the "shrinkage" comment. Your writings are a delight to read. Beautiful, mellow-looking photos of hotel.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2004 at 4:45 PM

We may have the Transamerica Tower, Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown, but Florida has Sector 17.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2004 at 4:16 PM

Definitely one of the best cities in America! I was surprised at how much I enjoyed its amazing ambiance!

• Custodyspice's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 7:57 AM

Hi over there! Thanx for comments! Im going to San Francisco in November and now Im gonna have to check out that Mansion Hotel for spooks! Nice pics.

• dcwizard's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2004 at 3:32 AM

Great SF page, probably my favorite US city. I'll check out Mansion Hotel next time I visit!

• Mar 10, 2004 at 3:28 AM

A friend of mine visited Alcatraz last year and was very impressed ! :-)

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in San Francisco

Have you been to San Francisco?