"Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view" Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica by 850prc

Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,167 reviews and 2,706 photos

A vast empty land FILLED with natural beauty

If you love breathtaking vistas, crystal clear waters, snowy-white peaks, greened hills and rocky shores, Antarctica is a never-ending source of amazement. There is no shortage of jaw-dropping natural wonder is this distant land.

The only thing they don't have many of is humans... people. And even though I'm a social fellow, I enjoy meeting and greeting new people, I'll have to admit that the relative solitude of this special place has its peaceful zen. Truly a perfect environmental balance, an example of how nature left to herself just gets it right.

You'll find the occasional and rare little structure, evidence of human presence - both now and in the past. But these tiny reminders of mankind are infinitely small in comparison to the vast expanse of land, sea, sky and mountains around them. Antarctica can seem both full and empty at the same time, depending on how you're viewing her.

In the accompanying photo, tiny historic Wordie House (ca 1947) is dwarfed by the surrounding mountains, water and snowfields.

Fin del Mundo

Our port of departure on the trip to Antarctica (Antartida in Spanish) was Ushuaia, Argentine. Ushuaia bills itself as the southernmost city in the world. All over town, you see the phrase "fin del mundo", which means "end of the world". And while Ushuaia may be the southernmost city on the planet, the true "end of the world", from a travel standpoint has to be Antarctica.

We can honestly say now that we've traveled to the end of the earth and back.

(The photo accompanying this text was a mural painted on a city street in Ushuaia. It depicts penguinos walking along and lists distances to various places on earth FROM Ushuaia. You'll notice that the closest place listed is "Antartida", and it's only 1000 km away. That's actually a short distance compared to the other signposts listed, but do remember.... the renowned and feared Drake Passage is between Ushuaia and Antarctica.)

To boldly go where few have gone before....

It has long been a travel goal of ours to touch all seven continents. It was long a goal our ours - a bucket list entry if you will. And as you now know reading this page, we made the final stop on the list of seven recently, a visit to Antarctica. So, I'm channeling STAR TREK and calling our visit to the Antarctic "the final frontier"... We have now boldly gone where few have gone before.

• Pros:Like nowhere else on Earth. NOWHERE else.
  • Cons:Sure, it's a long way and takes a lot of planning and commitment. It's not cheap, but IS worth every penny. And, there IS the Drake Passage to deal with...
  • In a nutshell:A lot of people ask "why go to Antarctica"? Anyone who HAS visited will reply "Why HAVEN'T you gone to Antarctica"? This incredible place is unique with a capital "U
  • Last visit to Antarctica: Mar 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 27, 2011

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Fantastic page, with lots of humor too! Beautiful trip you made!

• picek's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2011 at 8:50 AM

So beautiful it makes me speechless! Definitely a place I wish to visit sometime in my life - and now that it's so hot around here I'd actually love to have smaller sized iceberg to eat :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Haha....you've built more wonderful pages since I last saw this page, fantastic! Wonderful trip you had :) LOVE THE PIC OF THE PENGUIN POOPING, hahahaha

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

What a wonderful trip! I really hope to go to Antarctica one day and then absolutly with one of the smaller boats.

• nicolettart's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Pete, what an incredible dream come true for you and your family!! I shall return to read more.~~Nicoletta

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Pete, this is one of the most fascinating travel pages I've ever come across on VT - thank you so much for sharing this very unique trip with us, your pics and descriptions are simply amazing!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2011 at 12:36 PM

How magical and wonderful of you to establish some great memories for your family to enjoy! I Tarzan Juggler in the Anrtarctica is really creative...LOL! Great page Pete!

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Thanks for the invite...I'm enjoying my visit. :) FYI, when I was a little girl I thought no man could visit Antarctica. ;) (Based on the globe, but I'm glad that later in life I learned otherwise)

• hayward68's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Amazing page Pete! I especially like the penguin who's reading the VT flag ;-) Did you have any pics of the cabin? Would really like to see what they look like.

• Slapshot1's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Pete, what an amazing place you shared with us. You took some fantastic photos and I think I even saw a VT tattoo on one of those penguins ;)

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Antarctica

• 0 Countries

Have you been to Antarctica?