"Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view" Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica by 850prc
Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,167 reviews and 2,706 photos
If you love breathtaking vistas, crystal clear waters, snowy-white peaks, greened hills and rocky shores, Antarctica is a never-ending source of amazement. There is no shortage of jaw-dropping natural wonder is this distant land.
The only thing they don't have many of is humans... people. And even though I'm a social fellow, I enjoy meeting and greeting new people, I'll have to admit that the relative solitude of this special place has its peaceful zen. Truly a perfect environmental balance, an example of how nature left to herself just gets it right.
You'll find the occasional and rare little structure, evidence of human presence - both now and in the past. But these tiny reminders of mankind are infinitely small in comparison to the vast expanse of land, sea, sky and mountains around them. Antarctica can seem both full and empty at the same time, depending on how you're viewing her.
In the accompanying photo, tiny historic Wordie House (ca 1947) is dwarfed by the surrounding mountains, water and snowfields.
Our port of departure on the trip to Antarctica (Antartida in Spanish) was Ushuaia, Argentine. Ushuaia bills itself as the southernmost city in the world. All over town, you see the phrase "fin del mundo", which means "end of the world". And while Ushuaia may be the southernmost city on the planet, the true "end of the world", from a travel standpoint has to be Antarctica.
We can honestly say now that we've traveled to the end of the earth and back.
(The photo accompanying this text was a mural painted on a city street in Ushuaia. It depicts penguinos walking along and lists distances to various places on earth FROM Ushuaia. You'll notice that the closest place listed is "Antartida", and it's only 1000 km away. That's actually a short distance compared to the other signposts listed, but do remember.... the renowned and feared Drake Passage is between Ushuaia and Antarctica.)
It has long been a travel goal of ours to touch all seven continents. It was long a goal our ours - a bucket list entry if you will. And as you now know reading this page, we made the final stop on the list of seven recently, a visit to Antarctica. So, I'm channeling STAR TREK and calling our visit to the Antarctic "the final frontier"... We have now boldly gone where few have gone before.
- Pros:Like nowhere else on Earth. NOWHERE else.
- Cons:Sure, it's a long way and takes a lot of planning and commitment. It's not cheap, but IS worth every penny. And, there IS the Drake Passage to deal with...
- In a nutshell:A lot of people ask "why go to Antarctica"? Anyone who HAS visited will reply "Why HAVEN'T you gone to Antarctica"? This incredible place is unique with a capital "U
For one of our on-board lunches, the crew of the Ushuaia chose to fire up outside grills and have a (what they called)... more travel advice
Approximate location : 65°04'S, 64°02'W Antarctica is a place of great natural beauty. You could shoot 600 photos a day... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 47 Reviews
- 182 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Commented on one of frankcanfly's Antarctica travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Sea Spirit - another expedition ship"
- updated a Antarctica Travel Page "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- Wrote a Review Cookouts, Antarctic style in Antarctica Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues