"Back to my first real home" Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda by 850prc

Bermuda Travel Guide: 736 reviews and 2,308 photos

I spent my early years in Bermuda

I actually used to live in Bermuda a long, long time ago. I was born in Alabama in June of 1956, but we moved to Bermuda in August of that year. We lived there until September of 1960. My younger brother was actually born there in December, 1958. Our visit in July of 2007 was the first time that ANY member of my family had returned to Bermuda.

The photo below was taken of my family in 1959. There's my dad and mom, who are both NOW 81 years old. And the two little guys are my younger brother (Mark) and myself. This was taken very near the Bermuda Aquarium, which is located on Harrington Sound, just outside Flatts Village. The Aquarium is only about a mile away from where I lived in Bermuda. Then again, NOTHING is very far from anything else on Bermuda...the island is only about 20 miles long.

Alabama House

This is actually where we lived in Bermuda from mid-1956 until the early 1960s. It was actually called "Alabama House", which is ironic...we're from Alabama. Alabama House was located right ON Harrington Sound, just over into Smith's Parish. My dad told me, ahead of our trip, that it was between teh bridge at Flatts Village and Devil's Hole. He also says that, from the front porch, you could look slightly to the right and see Patton's Point. I carefully plotted the location on my Bermuda tourist map, and sent the photo (below) to Harry Powell, owner of the bed and breakfast we stayed at in Bermuda. Harry, to my happiness, reported that he was "familiar with the house and that it was still there". Several days into our Bermuda visit, we planned one afternoon to solely seek and find "Alabama House". If you will look down at the next photo, you will see that we succeeded.

Alabama House yesterday, TWIGDON HOUSE today

I was successful in finding my old home (see above)

It's undergone a renovation and addition, as well as a name change. (It's now called Twigdon, and is located officially at 58 Harrington Sound Road...back when we lived there, we only had to write "Alabama House" for an address) I am still in the process of finding out who actually lives there now. We knocked on the door, but nobody was home. It appears that it may be owned by the guy who is CEO of Bermuda Telecom.

It really is a nice house, wouldn't mind having it be mine again. :) Then again, it was technically never "ours"...you cannot own property in Bermuda if you're a non-Bermudian. Then again, my brother WAS born there...

• Pros:Clean, friendly, relaxing, peaceful. A treasure
  • Cons:It's definitely expensive...but somehow we didn't mind
  • In a nutshell:Travel to another world, just two hours by air from the east coast of America
  • Last visit to Bermuda: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 27, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I have not been to the island, but would desire to do so one day. I hope you remember some of those days when living there.

• patnoelle's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Pete, I truly enjoyed reading your Bermuda page! Heading there this weekend and can't wait! Good luck and best wishes on your trip to Israel!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Pete, so much great information and so many wonderful photos on this page that it deserves a return visit! We visited Bermuda for the 1st time in early October and I really would love to visit it again!! Great picture of you, your Brother, Mom & Dad!

• Danalia's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2011 at 9:49 AM

The sweeties photos I've seen around here!

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM

thanks, great tips, I particulary appreciated the restaurants and cultural ones.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Would love to do the Dolphinquest and hear the noisy kiskadee...and I love the picture of your family --- very nostalgic, Norman :)

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2009 at 1:22 AM

Thanks for helpfully Bermuda Page.

• Feb 11, 2009 at 10:56 PM

OMG! Can't believe it! We were stationed in Bermuda 53-56. Friends lived in Alabama till 54. We were next door in Concord (west). House on ur other side was Carinaqua. Unbelievable!! Haven't been back, but recognized old house immediately! Sweets me, mon!

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2008 at 6:25 AM

Super-great tips on Bermuda!!! I'm so glad to visit!

• maztek's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Hi...I had a very detailed visit of Bermuda through pages....these are full of information...thanks and appreciated

850prc Used To Live Here!

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Bermuda

Have you been to Bermuda?

Latest Activity in Bermuda