"Back to my first real home" Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda by 850prc
Bermuda Travel Guide: 776 reviews and 2,482 photos
I actually used to live in Bermuda a long, long time ago. I was born in Alabama in June of 1956, but we moved to Bermuda in August of that year. We lived there until September of 1960. My younger brother was actually born there in December, 1958. Our visit in July of 2007 was the first time that ANY member of my family had returned to Bermuda.
The photo below was taken of my family in 1959. There's my dad and mom, who are both NOW 81 years old. And the two little guys are my younger brother (Mark) and myself. This was taken very near the Bermuda Aquarium, which is located on Harrington Sound, just outside Flatts Village. The Aquarium is only about a mile away from where I lived in Bermuda. Then again, NOTHING is very far from anything else on Bermuda...the island is only about 20 miles long.
This is actually where we lived in Bermuda from mid-1956 until the early 1960s. It was actually called "Alabama House", which is ironic...we're from Alabama. Alabama House was located right ON Harrington Sound, just over into Smith's Parish. My dad told me, ahead of our trip, that it was between teh bridge at Flatts Village and Devil's Hole. He also says that, from the front porch, you could look slightly to the right and see Patton's Point. I carefully plotted the location on my Bermuda tourist map, and sent the photo (below) to Harry Powell, owner of the bed and breakfast we stayed at in Bermuda. Harry, to my happiness, reported that he was "familiar with the house and that it was still there". Several days into our Bermuda visit, we planned one afternoon to solely seek and find "Alabama House". If you will look down at the next photo, you will see that we succeeded.
I was successful in finding my old home (see above)
It's undergone a renovation and addition, as well as a name change. (It's now called Twigdon, and is located officially at 58 Harrington Sound Road...back when we lived there, we only had to write "Alabama House" for an address) I am still in the process of finding out who actually lives there now. We knocked on the door, but nobody was home. It appears that it may be owned by the guy who is CEO of Bermuda Telecom.
It really is a nice house, wouldn't mind having it be mine again. :) Then again, it was technically never "ours"...you cannot own property in Bermuda if you're a non-Bermudian. Then again, my brother WAS born there...
- Pros:Clean, friendly, relaxing, peaceful. A treasure
- Cons:It's definitely expensive...but somehow we didn't mind
- In a nutshell:Travel to another world, just two hours by air from the east coast of America
Most everyone is familiar with the term "Bermuda shorts". And, far from being a tourist thing, Bermudas are widely worn... more travel advice
My wife and daughter are very much into birding, and were on the lookout for the local species. We never got a good look... more travel advice
- See All St. George's Town Hall, Kings Square
- See All If your beaten path leaves you beaten...
- See All Scooters and Cycles
850prc's Related Pages
Bermuda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Back to my first real home"
- "Bermuda - an English outpost"
- "Bermuda ~ The Somers Isles"
- "Bermuda - A snapshoot from an outsider"
- "Let me help you find Bermuda"
- "Bermuda-A Tropical Beauty!"
- "Bermuda, beautiful in Every Way...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bermuda
- Hotels in Bermuda
- Transportation in Bermuda
- Nightlife in Bermuda
- Restaurants in Bermuda
- Shopping in Bermuda
- Warnings and Dangers in Bermuda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bermuda
- 67 Reviews
- 175 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Bermuda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bermuda
- Commented on one of 850prc's Bermuda tips
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Wrote a Review A shorts haberdashery tip about Bermuda Shorts in Bermuda Local Customs
- updated a Bermuda Travel Page "Back to my first real home"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Heard but seldom seen...whistling tree frogs"
Photos in BermudaSee All Photos (175)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues