"Alaska, America's most unexplored wilderness" Alaska by 850prc

Alaska Travel Guide: 6,747 reviews and 14,298 photos

The Denali Range, majesty on a grand scale

ALSO, PLEASE VISIT MY INDIVIDUAL CITY PAGES FOR ALASKA! Enjoy your visit to my Travel pages!

Alaska may be "next to last" in order of admission to the USA, but it's second to none in natural beauty, fresh air and wide-open spaces.

One of the more intensely beautiful parts of the state is the centrally located Denali mountain range and Denali National Park. "Denali" is the local name for the mountain officially named for the 26th president, William McKinley. Denali is, incidently, the tallest mountain on the North American continent, standing at just over 20,000 feet above sea level.

Even though this is one of the more visited parts of Alaska, people from the "lower 48" will be shocked as to how few tourists you'll find yourself sharing this beauty with. I am from Florida, and I am used to Disneyworld and the like. This place seemed blessedly deserted!

Seward, Alaska

Originally purchased at the insistence of US Secretary of State William Seward, Alaska was, for years, called "Seward's Folly". But, that was before the immense beauty and natural wealth of the state was known.

On the southern tip of the Kenai Peninsular is the small and friendly town of Seward. The major industries around here are fishing and tourism. This is a great place to do some whale-watching.

Most people who visit Seward in Alaska do so as part of a cruise. (The townspeople refer to the occasionally onslaught of cruise members as being "boat people") I'd suggest you go to Seward by land, though. Stay with one of the local bed and breakfasts and enjoy a couple of restful days in Seward.

What more can be said about a place where you'll find bald eagles sitting on top of phone booths?

Empty, yet overflowing

Alaska may not have many people, but it's claimed way more than its quota of natural beauty.

You truly wear yourself out with continued ooohs and aaaahs as you drive along northward towards Fairbanks!

• Pros:Natural beauty, wide-open spaces and frontier hospitality
  • Cons:Basics can be more expensive. And, you'd better buy gas when you can north of Wasilla!
  • In a nutshell:There's no more beautiful place in America.
  • Last visit to Alaska: Jun 1999
  • Intro Updated Apr 25, 2003

• Ericasmurf99's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I always enjoy reading your pages; such a great writing style. We'll be moving to Alaska (Eagle River/Anchorage) this July.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 5:23 PM

LOL...I like the Jeffski picture - I think I will also do this pose when I am in Alaska...we'll see...but I'll try to look for a thrift store in Anchorage (I like Russian military stuff)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Starting to explore your Alaska pages as we're hoping to go there next year. Hire car seems definitely to be the way to go! Will be back to check out the other pages too very soon :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 2:59 PM

I never realized there was still so much Russian influence in Alaska.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2005 at 11:58 PM

Alaska definitely is on my to go list! That local custom seems to be an Arctic custom - same holds true for Jan Mayen, Spitsbergen and part of Norway!

• hilolip's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 1:06 PM

One suppgestion I like to add is to use the Alaska's Marine Highway. Your transportation can be loaded into the ferry and you get the opportunity to enjoy floating too.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2004 at 10:23 PM

Now that we've picked Alaska for our summer vacation, I'm going to have to check out all your Alaska tips. In fact, Pete, I find I'm relying on your tips more and more. Great page and tips, as always

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2004 at 12:45 PM

Hey the USA made a good purchase there! Good page..........will go one day....I hope

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2004 at 9:25 PM

Alaska was already on my wish list but I am even more conviced of it after viewing your pages. Thank you for visiting my Iceland page.

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2004 at 2:57 PM

Alaska is on my wish list, some day I'll make it there. thanks for the tips and excellent photos!

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Alaska