"Alaska, America's most unexplored wilderness" Alaska by 850prc
Alaska Travel Guide: 6,747 reviews and 14,298 photos
ALSO, PLEASE VISIT MY INDIVIDUAL CITY PAGES FOR ALASKA! Enjoy your visit to my Travel pages!
Alaska may be "next to last" in order of admission to the USA, but it's second to none in natural beauty, fresh air and wide-open spaces.
One of the more intensely beautiful parts of the state is the centrally located Denali mountain range and Denali National Park. "Denali" is the local name for the mountain officially named for the 26th president, William McKinley. Denali is, incidently, the tallest mountain on the North American continent, standing at just over 20,000 feet above sea level.
Even though this is one of the more visited parts of Alaska, people from the "lower 48" will be shocked as to how few tourists you'll find yourself sharing this beauty with. I am from Florida, and I am used to Disneyworld and the like. This place seemed blessedly deserted!
Originally purchased at the insistence of US Secretary of State William Seward, Alaska was, for years, called "Seward's Folly". But, that was before the immense beauty and natural wealth of the state was known.
On the southern tip of the Kenai Peninsular is the small and friendly town of Seward. The major industries around here are fishing and tourism. This is a great place to do some whale-watching.
Most people who visit Seward in Alaska do so as part of a cruise. (The townspeople refer to the occasionally onslaught of cruise members as being "boat people") I'd suggest you go to Seward by land, though. Stay with one of the local bed and breakfasts and enjoy a couple of restful days in Seward.
What more can be said about a place where you'll find bald eagles sitting on top of phone booths?
Alaska may not have many people, but it's claimed way more than its quota of natural beauty.
You truly wear yourself out with continued ooohs and aaaahs as you drive along northward towards Fairbanks!
- Pros:Natural beauty, wide-open spaces and frontier hospitality
- Cons:Basics can be more expensive. And, you'd better buy gas when you can north of Wasilla!
- In a nutshell:There's no more beautiful place in America.
If you are like me and my family, namely if you are the sort of person who prefers the great outdoors and natural beauty... more travel advice
The USA purchased Alaska from Romanov Russia back in 1867. At the time, it was considered a foolhardy idea. The driving... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 25 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Commented on one of pcg821's Alaska travel pages
- Wrote a Review Any roadside stop can yield natural beauty in Alaska Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Back in the USSR"
- updated a Alaska Travel Page "Alaska, America's most unexplored wilderness"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues