"Switzerland, the "Crown of the Alps"" Switzerland by 850prc
Switzerland Travel Guide: 14,410 reviews and 42,900 photos
One of the greatest joys of travel throughout Switzerland is the opportunity to visit literally thousands of great little chocolate and pastry shops. Nothing breaks up a drive better than a few minutes spent drinking hot chocolate and/or coffee, combined with a freshly-baked sweet roll. Never let a day in Switzerland pass without endulging in this simplest of pleasures.
The centrally located city of Luzern is one of the most frequented in Switzerland. Many, many tour groups slither through Luzern on their way north to Germany or south to Italy, seldom staying more than a day. Pity. This town is definitely worth 4 or 5 days, to insure time to explore the old city and the scenic wonders in the immediate vicinity.
When you consider destinations in Switzerland for travelers, Schaffhausen seldom comes up. But this moderately-sized city, positioned directly at the German frontier in central-north Switzerland, is an interesting stop for a couple of days.
The city center has many old and historic buildings, and there is a large number of church museums and edifices. One convent area has a very pleasing spice garden, which is a great place to sit and reflect.
Overlooking the city is the walled and turreted fortress, the Munot. Besides commanding a great view of Schaffhausen and the surrounding area, there is a large and explorable basement area under the fort.
Immediately abeam Schaffhausen, located only a few kilometers away, are the Rheinfalls, the largest waterfalls in continental Europe. While no Niagra or Iguassu Falls, these stormy waters have a brooding quality that led the poet Goethe to describe them as "The Mother of Oceans". They're especially dark and foreboding on a misty, cloudy day. Worth the trip!
- Pros:The land of perfection. Everything is clean and tidy, just what you'd expect
- Cons:Can be pricy
- In a nutshell:Every continent has a best destination. IMHO, Europe's top spot is Switzerland
The Swiss people still subscribe, at least in the rural areas, to the community/village mentality. They're truly one... more travel advice
Switzerland is one country where "doing nothing" can be a supremely enjoyable activity. Whether it's walking on a... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Switzerland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Switzerland was my home for more than 5 years"
- "Switzerland like a dream..."
- "Welcome to the Heart of The Alps"
- "The Heart of Europe"
- "I love Switzerland - and all their cable-cars!"
- "VT Meeting Party for Janet"
- "First-Bachalpsee- First_Tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Switzerland
- Hotels in Switzerland
- Transportation in Switzerland
- Nightlife in Switzerland
- Restaurants in Switzerland
- Shopping in Switzerland
- Warnings and Dangers in Switzerland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Switzerland
- 15 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Switzerland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Switzerland
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Commented on one of JudyinPA's Switzerland travel pages
- Wrote a Review Look for local festivals out on the road in Switzerland Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Look for local festivals out on the road"
- updated a Switzerland Travelogue "Lucerne, casual views around town"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues