"The Netherlands....a great little country" Netherlands by 850prc

Netherlands Travel Guide: 32,756 reviews and 87,743 photos

Amsterdam, a great place for a brew

Sure, most folks think of art, diamonds and even wooden shoes and delft china when they think of Amsterdam. But, this tidy city is also a great place for us true beer lovers. Like their neighbors in Belgium and Germany, the Dutch appreciate a good glass of hops with almost any city activity.

Here I am, looking very much younger than today (it WAS 22 years ago) enjoying a beer near the Von Moppes Diamond showroom in Amsterdam.

Proof that not everyone ages...

One comment that I receive over and over regarding the photo of me above is how much younger I looked them. It WAS 22 years ago.

Part of my frustration is that my wife doesn't age anywhere near as much as I do. She's like Dorian Gray. Anyway, in fairness, I post a photo of Bonnie, taken in Amsterdam back in October of 1983.

• Pros:Clean, efficient and quite friendly.
  • Cons:I just didn't spend enough time to become a "Dutch Master"
  • In a nutshell:Another great stop in Europe
  • Last visit to Netherlands: Oct 1983
  • Intro Updated Apr 23, 2005

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2012 at 6:44 AM

I always love to read stories of travellers who visit my country. Job well done with the nice pictures and good tips. Thanx for sharing.

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 1:09 PM

right this is the country I am living :) A canal tour through Amsterdam still is my favorite when I am there

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM

You still look young and dashing!Your tip "Shop at the candy store not the carot store" is invaluable.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2006 at 1:18 PM

Pete, thanks for the birthday wishes last week! When I checked into this page I did not realize that it took place several birthdays ago for you! Ah, those were the good old days - well done, especially with that chocolate tip!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2006 at 3:05 PM

Nice historical page. I haven't been to the Netherlands for a long time either, but I'll be going there (well, to Amsterdam) for a few days in May. Really looking forward to it.

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2005 at 6:16 PM

Thanks for checking my Cancun page, Pete. You know I was to visit Amsterdam in 2006, but that won't happen anymore unfortunately. However, I had learned alot from your tips, thank you!

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2004 at 6:00 PM

Great pic, Pete! You do look like you are enjoying your beer. I wonder if I'd like Amsterdam beer? Oh, probably not...I tried Montenegrin beer last week, and to me, if you've had one beer, you've had them all.

• TravelCool's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2004 at 7:48 PM

Unfortunately, I don't really know much about city activities because I'm usually left out of them.

• Alphons's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2004 at 2:07 AM

i hope that you will visit my homecountry again, i have a lot of dutch pages and hope that you will take a look, greetings alphons

• johanl's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2004 at 11:58 PM

Just hop over the border to Belgium and be welcomed in the real beercountry. About 260 different brands and kinds of beer.

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Netherlands

Have you been to Netherlands?