"Anne's Avonlea" Cavendish by 850prc

Cavendish Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 8 photos

The town that both hosts and inspired Green Gables

Have you read the classic Lucy Maud Montgomery story, ANNE OF GREEN GABLES? Well, Cavendish is the town that inspired the tale. Sure, in the book Anne lives in Avonlea, but that's a fictional name for Cavendish.

Avonlea may be fictional, but GREEN GABLES, the house, exists and can be visited. It's part of Prince Edward Provincial Park. So, if you like your literature to come alive, you might want to swing through Cavendish on your visit to PEI.

Check out my separate tip for the Green Gables house on this short Cavendish page.

Anne is everywhere...

Just about anywhere in Atlantic Canada, you're bound to find references to Anne of Green Gables. And of course, it's especially true in/on Prince Edward Island.

FWIW, my wife procured a copy of Anne and read it over before our trip, just to enhance our understanding of the novel's local impact. It did add something to our feel and enjoyment of PEI. I recommend that you look it over - it's an easy read, and very heartwarming. A true classic.

• Pros:Immersion into a beloved childhood story... that's good stuff.
  • Cons:TO ME, the site and tour seemed a little pricey. (and I am NOT cheap... really!)
  • In a nutshell:Sounds like just the place for a raspberry cordiale. (Anne's favorite drink, if you haven't read the book)
  • Last visit to Cavendish: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2009

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM

That house looks like a great setting for a classic story. (Which I have never read, but no matter. I'm sure I would read it before going there.)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Green Gables would be a must for me, whatever the price! Did you go inside or pass because of the cost? If you did, please tell us more about what's to be seen - does it still look as it did in "Anne's day"?!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2009 at 4:42 PM

The stuff of dreams and stories :)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Those of us who grew up loving Anne ( and Matthew, Marilla et al) carry a little bit of PEI with us always. Thanks for showing us GG. leyle

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2009 at 3:16 PM

You, cheap? No way!

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Cavendish

Have you been to Cavendish?

Latest Activity in Cavendish