"Here is where I'd live in Australia" Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide by 850prc

Adelaide Travel Guide: 985 reviews and 2,153 photos

A very special place

Adelaide just seems to be a place that "works". That could be the result of meticulous planning. New Yorker Magazine once described this lovelyl capital of South Australia as being "possibly the last well-planned metropolis on earth". Laid out in 1837 by Colonel William Light, Adelaide was designed with broad streets surrounded by a generous green cushion of greenland(s). The result is an inner-city whose main attractions are an easy walk from almost anywhere. And, getting lost requires special skills. ; )

But going back to the New Yorker quote, I'd disagree with calling Adelaide a "metropolis". Although it's clearly a large city, with all the benefits of BEING a large city, it still has a very comfortable feel to it. Unlike somewhere like Sydney, or for that matter New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Miami or any other large city in my homeland, Adelaide doesn't give this country boy the feeling that things are happening too fast.

It may not be that Adelaide has managed growth so much as she's maintained her pace. It's a city where you can both sleep soundly and yet avoid FALLING asleep from boredom.

A fine garden makes a city so much more liveable

I've always admired well-maintained city parks and gardens. In our travels, we've become true aficionados of botanic gardens in the cities of the world. I think it says something very special about a city that embraces nature and peace in the perfect art form that is a fine botanic garden.

A place of peace, relaxation, wonder and learning, all within the confines of a major city. The Botanic Gardens of Adelaide say so much about this lovely city. If I lived in Adelaide, I'd spend a lot of time among the greenery and nature.

A place to LIVE

Although Adelaide has plenty of larger hotels, we chose to stay in one of her small neighborhood "serviced" flats. Florence's Cottage, over on Ely Place, proved the perfect compliment to Adelaide's comfortably liveable pace. From the moment we moved in, both to Florence's AND to Adelaide, I found myself saying things like "head back home" rather than "go back to the room". It's a subtle difference, but it illustrates the welcome we felt immediately upon our arrival in the beautiful city of Adelaide.

• Pros:Perfect size. Big AND small enough to meet our needs
  • Cons:We only had four days there
  • In a nutshell:If I moved to Australia, I think I'd live in or near Adelaide
  • Last visit to Adelaide: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 11, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2009 at 5:51 AM

Thanks for visiting. Glad you liked Adelaide, so many tourists write it off. I used to live in the Adelaide Hills and they are very pretty. Have been to most of your tips, but just didn't take photos because of living there.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2009 at 6:42 PM

You guessed it; Adelaide is a agreat place to live--I did fr 1971-75. WOW! A NONYA restaurant there? that was the first food Trevor and I enjoyed together when we met 32 yrs ago in Singapore and we still talk of it!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 2:14 AM

The ideal tip should include reasons for the tip, price if any, location with directions. Everything else should only be included if it adds to the tip. Yours did. I wouldn't subtract one word. Thank you much

• Elena77's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Great tips, thanks for sharing! I've got a friend who lives in Adelaide and do very much feel like I should visit him now after reading your tips! : )

• VdV's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 9:15 PM

I agree with you--Adelaide would be my city of choice if I were to move to Australia. Love Melbourne, Sydney I could do without, but Adelaide has a very comfortable feel to it. Great tips, brings back memories of my visit there in 2001.

• jaqs's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2008 at 8:02 PM

St Francis Xavier is the Catholic Cathedral on Wakefield Street, adjacent to Victoria Square in the city. Handy for any visitors who wish to attend Mass.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Nice overview of Adelaide, one of my favourite Australian cities. Love the idea of killer carrots!Galahs are members of the parrot family, isn't that pink on their breast an amazing colour? leyle

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 2:51 AM

Excellent page! Seems to be a really nice city - wish we'd gone there when in Oz (but there's always next time, right?) The accommodation sounds a real find, as does the chocolate shop ;) And I always welcome a great beer tip!

• Jun 16, 2007 at 10:47 AM

'been contemplating of visiting some friends in Adelaide but wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it there. Thanks for your convincing tips, I just might surprise them with a visit! I liked your restaurant and accommodation tips! Great job!

• tigerjapan's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 7:09 AM

Great Adelaide pages. Love that city too and would easily make it my home for the great wine and food alone.

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Adelaide

Have you been to Adelaide?