"Here is where I'd live in Australia" Top 5 Page for this destination Adelaide by 850prc
Adelaide Travel Guide: 1,097 reviews and 2,602 photos
Adelaide just seems to be a place that "works". That could be the result of meticulous planning. New Yorker Magazine once described this lovelyl capital of South Australia as being "possibly the last well-planned metropolis on earth". Laid out in 1837 by Colonel William Light, Adelaide was designed with broad streets surrounded by a generous green cushion of greenland(s). The result is an inner-city whose main attractions are an easy walk from almost anywhere. And, getting lost requires special skills. ; )
But going back to the New Yorker quote, I'd disagree with calling Adelaide a "metropolis". Although it's clearly a large city, with all the benefits of BEING a large city, it still has a very comfortable feel to it. Unlike somewhere like Sydney, or for that matter New York, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Miami or any other large city in my homeland, Adelaide doesn't give this country boy the feeling that things are happening too fast.
It may not be that Adelaide has managed growth so much as she's maintained her pace. It's a city where you can both sleep soundly and yet avoid FALLING asleep from boredom.
I've always admired well-maintained city parks and gardens. In our travels, we've become true aficionados of botanic gardens in the cities of the world. I think it says something very special about a city that embraces nature and peace in the perfect art form that is a fine botanic garden.
A place of peace, relaxation, wonder and learning, all within the confines of a major city. The Botanic Gardens of Adelaide say so much about this lovely city. If I lived in Adelaide, I'd spend a lot of time among the greenery and nature.
Although Adelaide has plenty of larger hotels, we chose to stay in one of her small neighborhood "serviced" flats. Florence's Cottage, over on Ely Place, proved the perfect compliment to Adelaide's comfortably liveable pace. From the moment we moved in, both to Florence's AND to Adelaide, I found myself saying things like "head back home" rather than "go back to the room". It's a subtle difference, but it illustrates the welcome we felt immediately upon our arrival in the beautiful city of Adelaide.
- Pros:Perfect size. Big AND small enough to meet our needs
- Cons:We only had four days there
- In a nutshell:If I moved to Australia, I think I'd live in or near Adelaide
A nice selection of a la carte meals.... nothing particularly fancy, just good food. You can get a nice burger, some... more travel advice
Established in 1915, Haigh's is Australia's oldest chocolate manufacturer. There are several shops and public... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Adelaide Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Adelaide - bend a knee or raise a glass"
- "THE FORGOTTEN CAPITAL CITY - ADELAIDE"
- "Here is where I'd live in Australia"
- "Don't Overlook Adelaide"
- "IMPREXXION: ADELAIDE"
- "ADELAIDE'S XMAS PAGEANT"
- " Adelaide"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Adelaide
- Hotels in Adelaide
- Transportation in Adelaide
- Nightlife in Adelaide
- Restaurants in Adelaide
- Shopping in Adelaide
- Warnings and Dangers in Adelaide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Adelaide
- 30 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Adelaide?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Adelaide
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Commented on one of flyingbuttress's Adelaide travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Keswick Station (Interstate Rail Terminal)"
- updated a Adelaide Travel Page "Here is where I'd live in Australia"
- Wrote a Review A long tradition of friendly and satisfying food about General Havelock Hotel in Adelaide Restaurants
Photos in AdelaideSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues