"Steve Irwin's dream lives forever in Beerwah" Top 5 Page for this destination Beerwah by 850prc

Beerwah Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 150 photos

Home of my daughter's hero

Thanks for everything you've meant to my daughter, Steve-O. Your passing is like losing a member of our family, mate.

CROCS RULE!

The Gateway to the Promised Land

DisneyWorld likes to call itself the "happiest place on Earth". Well, that's not true for my youngest, my daughter Sara. Australia Zoo is her holy land, her sacred ground.

This is Sara's heaven.

To get to Australia Zoo from the Brisbane area, go north on the Bruce Highway (#1). Maybe 80 km north of Brisbane, you'll turn west onto Steve Irwin Way, which is highway #24. This highway used to be called the Glasshouse Mountains Tourist Road, but was renamed in Steve's honor after his tragic death in September 2006. Follow Steve Irwin way for about 10 km and you'll see the zoo over on the left. You can park right by the gate of the zoo.

Looks like Kev brought his trunk(s)

Just playing around here. K.Knight, one of THE nicest people ever, is one of my VT pals. Kev drove 50 miles to pick us up in Scarborough and took us to Australia Zoo. I'm glad that he got to share the experience of our special VIP visit, which included a chance to feed the elephants.

And FWIW, those killer hamburgers that Kevin and I had for lunch were only a little bit smaller than that elephant. :)

• Pros:A place that loves and cares for its animals. God Bless 'em.
  • Cons:My daughter loves it so.... and it's 10,000 miles away from our house.
  • In a nutshell:We can and will travel the globe forever. No place will ever make Sara happier.
  • Last visit to Beerwah: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 12, 2007

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2009 at 8:00 AM

I wouldn't mind the koala bear, but the little snakes...and the big snake!!! Your daughter is very brave, hehehe...But would love to visit this Home of the Crocodile Hunter someday...Norman :)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Wow, that Wombat was enormous. Mental note, do not make the male Koalas happy...lol! At least they are honest;) It looks you all had some wonderful family time, that is special. Excellent page!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Wow! that Burmese Python is HUGE. What a fun and entertaining Beerwah page. The Australian Zoo looks awesome. Thanks for the virtual tour Pete.

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2007 at 4:13 AM

Pete, excuse me while I relive some memories.....

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2007 at 10:49 AM

What an amazing opportunity, Pete, for you and your family, especially Sara...it's obvious from the photos that she is obviously so thrilled about all the animals. Great Job.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2007 at 8:46 AM

Fanastic pics! What great zoo!

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 6:36 PM

I see Sara is still as devoted as ever! I have not as yet been to Australia Zoo but will get there one day. You have done a great job with this page...see yu mate!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 2:58 AM

Happy birthday, Pete, and congratulations on this fine Beerwah page. Great that you and your family got the VIP treatment at AZOO. If I'm ever down there (you never know), I'll be sure to take the "CrocTrain" from Brisbane to Beerwah.

• schurlif's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Great, great page ! Good animals ! Beautiful pythons ! Horny koalas ! Amazing dingoes ! A mind warping zoo they have there in Beerwah ! I wasn't as lucky as Sara (I won't talk about Bonnie here), they wouldn't let me hold a koala at a Sydney zoo...

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Wow - what a dream for a family vacation! The elephant feeding, the echidna, the dingos - it's no wonder Sara was in heaven! I would have been too :)

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Beerwah

Have you been to Beerwah?