"Ecuador's Capital City, a treasure in the Andes" Quito by 850prc

Quito Travel Guide: 1,075 reviews and 2,921 photos

The center of the Ecuadoran state

Quito is Ecuador's capital city, and seat of virtually all political direction in this tiny country. The city is home to a great number of government buildings, both historic and modern, and boasts the ornate presidential palace.

There are also numerous cathedrals, churches, parks and shops, both indoor and street-side, along with a plethora of places to eat, plain and fancy.

It's no accident that most visits to Ecuador start and end in Quito. It's the center of it all.

• Pros:Civically, it's the best of Ecuador. Best airport, transportation, city infrastructure, etc.
  • Cons:Ecuador and Quito has its problems. The power seldom stays on for more than a few hours without interruption. Make sure you have a battery or wind-up alarm clock.
  • In a nutshell:If you visit Ecuador, you'll probably visit Quito. Take a few days and enjoy yourself.
  • Last visit to Quito: Nov 1995
  • Intro Updated Jun 16, 2007

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I'm not sure I feel inclined to ever visit Quito, but I guess it is the gateway to the Galapagos for most tourists. American values or not, I find the meat market repulsive. Just boost I need to become a vegetarian.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2009 at 6:18 AM

Interesting virtual tour of your visit to Quito.

• Feb 9, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I gather you liked it some to have revisitted, and yet you sound rather "poor" in revealing its apeal... Was it just the bargain?! Cheers, Marina

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 5:53 AM

Looks an interesting city to visit. You don't tell us whether your prayers were answered - DID your wife buy a rug?!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2007 at 5:22 AM

Hi Pete, when I go to Quito (if I ever do) I'll be sure to visit that meat market.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2005 at 4:24 PM

The Rugs look great, I still have nightmares about the moroccan carpet sellers! (~_~)

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 9:45 AM

I remember buying rugs in Morocco, YIKES on the price, LOL.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2004 at 6:30 PM

Another good page, Pete. The hotel looks delightful, and the rugs are wonderful.

• filipdebont's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2003 at 9:13 AM

well done, nice page, I really enjoyed visiting Quito last month.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2003 at 8:55 AM

I'll return the hat and buy one of those rugs!! Quito must be a cool place to visit!

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Quito