"Fulfilling a Promise Made 28 Years Earlier" Agra by 850prc

Agra Travel Guide: 1,109 reviews and 3,631 photos

A monument to everlasting love, Agra's TAJ MAHAL

I love photography and am an old-school guy. For me, classic black and white has a timeless quality. Let's open our visit to Agra with THE timeless image the world has of the magnificent Taj Mahal.

Our 28th Anniversary

My wife told me many years ago - before we married actually - that it had always been her dream to see the Taj Mahal. At the time, she'd never been on an airplane, and had never been outside of three states, Alabama, Georgia and Florida. I made up my mind on that day that Bonnie would one day see the Taj Mahal and that I'd make it happen.

As it turns out, we viewed the Taj one day after our 28th wedding anniversary, which was October 4th, 2008. Logistics made it impossible to be at the Taj ON our anniversary, but being there the day after was still perfect. The night before, in New Delhi, we'd been surprised with a lovely and scrumptious chocolate cake celebrating our wedding anniversary, courtesy of Mr. Navin Pandey and Gatik Eventures, the company with which I contracted for driver and city guide services. Gatik and Navin are a class organization, and I hope you do see my specific tip regarding them on my India page. This extra little kindness on our special day just shows you how personal and connected Gatik Eventures and my friend Navin Pandey are.

So, the night before, we enjoyed Navin's gift chocolate cake, and the next day - it was a dream come true, a visit to the Taj Mahal.

We expected so very much from our visit to the Taj. And yet, we were still overwhelmed by its grace and perfection. Don't EVER let someone tell you visiting the Taj is just a tourist thing. We will never forget our visit to this beautiful place, on a special day of celebration for us, our 28th anniversary.

• Pros:Seeing the Taj is worth a 10,000 mile trip in itself
  • Cons:Agra is a tourist town. That means a few extra touts following you around.
  • In a nutshell:The Taj... you know exactly how it looks, and yet it still takes your breath away.
  • Last visit to Agra: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 7, 2008

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Hi Pete, I'm glad the Taj lived up to your -- and your wife's -- expectations! It certainly looks fine in your photos from various angles and at various times of day.

• Florida999's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Lol! I know I was supposed to look at P.E.I. but....love your India pages!! I love buttered chicken too, yumm!! Agra is one of the places I want to see one day

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Truly 5-star tips! Great practical information. So nice to hear about Bonnie's dream from long ago being fulfilled! What a great anniversary gift!!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Excellent tips and photos from Agra Pete! And great to hear that you finally could see the dream destination of your wife! I might go there next year.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Thanks for stopping by my very old and dated India page. So very glad you made your wife's dream come true. Is that not what a good husband should always do? It is as it should be.

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Not much pleases us more than fiding budget hotels. An honest evaluations such as yours is particularly valuable. Thanks and will now look at the rest of your pages on Agra.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Fantastic photos of the Taj Mahal! That is so wonderful that you made Bonnie's dream come true.

• cleocat's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2009 at 9:37 AM

You have stunning photos of the Taj Mahal. I can imagine it must have been something to see. India is not really on top of my list of places to visit but I would love to see the Taj Mahal.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Excellent page about a place I dream to visit for a long time! May be even this year... Thanks Pete for sharing!

• husain's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 2:58 AM

Excellent Agra page, Pete:)

850prc

“Proud visitor to all seven continents! Presently giving thought to the eternal question.... where to next? ”

Badges & Stats in Agra