"Bharatpur/Keoladeo National Park- Birding Paradise" Top 5 Page for this destination Bharatpur by 850prc
Bharatpur Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 239 photos
Located approximately 35 km from well-known and massively-visited Agra, the smaller city of Bharatpur, named for the brother of the Hindu Lord Ram, was founded in the early 18th century. In the past, the area served as a duck-hunting preserve for the maharajahs and other royals.
Today, Bharatpur's main claim to fame is its nearby and exquisite birding sanctuary, Keoladeo National Park. (It's also known of as the Ghana Bird Sanctuary) As mentioned, this park is a former royal hunting preserve. Today, Keoladeo is home to a wide variety of mammals and reptiles, and of course - a cornucopia of birds. Many of the birds are year-round residents, which a great many others are migratory. Some of these winged varieties passing through Keoladeo are quite rare indeed, and this park is considered one of the few places on earth to see some species. Keoladeo is 29 square kilometers of birding and wildlife paradise, a very pleasant place to visit.
Please see my tips for additional park information.
The main item of interest to visitors in Bharatpur generally is Keoladeo National Park, which is also called the Ghana Birding Sanctuary. This is a park worth more than one visit... you never know which birds you'll see in each visit, and there are more than enough trails to keep you busy for hours on each trip.
The accompanying photo shows the entry sign to the park. Right beyond this area is where you can hire a birding guide directly at the park. You can also rent a bike or hire a cycle-rickshaw for a ride through the park. And from November until early spring, you can also hire a boat and a guide for an up-close look at the water birds in the area.
My wife and daughter are VERY into birding. And although I'm nowhere near on their level of expertise, I still enjoy the peace and discovery of the process. I've been on more than one birding hike with my girls.
Keoladeo had something new and different, namely the option of being squired through the park via cycle rickshaw, accompanied by a birding expert guide. A different experience, very restful and yet peaceful enough to keep the birds in your view. There are some areas of the park that you won't be able to access via cycle-rickshaw, but you can get your driver to park while you go on a walk to cover the inaccessible territory.
The drivers are very helpful and interested in insuring you have a nice time. They may be a little shaky in communicating in your native tongue, but they do a good job of making information known without complete lingual command. :)
- Pros:If you love wildlife and especially birds, don't miss it.
- Cons:It's a little off the beaten trail...not a lot of tourist support in place
- In a nutshell:Bharatpur and Keoladeo are all about wildlife, making it perfect for my family.
As I mentioned in the previous tip (Shooting at Bharatpur Then and Now I), the area didn't used to be an animal refuge.... more travel advice
When one is discussing Keoladeo National Park, it's easy to focus on the birds, the mammals, the reptiles... it is,... more travel advice
850prc's Related Pages
Bharatpur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bharatpur/Keoladeo National Park- Birding Paradise"
- "~ Bharatpur ~"
- "Bharatpur-Birds Paradise!!"
- "KEOLADEO GHANA NATIONAL PARK"
- "Keoladeo National Park"
- "CUTE LITTLE BIRDIES"
- "Bharatpur and Keoladeo National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bharatpur
- Hotels in Bharatpur
- Transportation in Bharatpur
- Restaurants in Bharatpur
- Shopping in Bharatpur
- Warnings and Dangers in Bharatpur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bharatpur
- 17 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Bharatpur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bharatpur
- Posted in Travel Oregon Forum "Re: The Northwest Oregon Coast -..."
- Commented on one of chizz's Bharatpur travel pages
- Wrote a Review Shooting at Bharatpur Then and Now II in Bharatpur Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Shooting at Bharatpur Then and Now II"
- updated a Bharatpur Travelogue "A few peeks around town in Bharatpur"
Photos in BharatpurSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee Intro, 97 reviews, 215 photos, 6 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 69 reviews, 199 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 67 reviews, 175 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 61 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Key West Intro, 41 reviews, 98 photos, 3 travelogues
- India Intro, 32 reviews, 106 photos, 9 travelogues
- Miccosukee Intro, 40 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Germany Intro, 44 reviews, 76 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kennebunkport Intro, 49 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues