"Wellcome to a fortress" Pskov by remigia
Pskov Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 317 photos
Most of guides describe Pskov as one of the main fortresses that stood on defence of Russian lands in medieval. But the full picture can be seen only visiting Pskov, Izborsk and Pechiora together.
One of the main divisions of Russian Army Air- Troops is located in Pskov. And one of the most honourable citiziens is their chaplain. I cannot say if it is true but our guide told us that story. When some time ago terror acts in some Russian towns started this priest with soldiers flied over the town in helicopter and blessed Pskov with holy water. This was to save the town from all the terror acts.
When you are in Pskov 2 names will be mentioned -Olga and Dovmont. Olga was a local girl that became a wife of a great duke. And Dovmont was one of the greatest war commanders in the second half of XIV century. He was the only person allowed to live inside the Krom walls and the place still has a name Dovmont Gorod.
But the hero in one country is a traitor and refugee in another....Dovmont . originally Daumantas, was a Lithuanian, the lord of land named Nalshia. When in the middle of XIV century the great duke Mindaugas joined Lithuanian lands in one strong state and was crowned as a king, not all the lords were happy about the new order. The plot against Mindaugas was organized. And two man stood in front- Treniota and Daumantas. He had his own revenge on Mindaugas. Mindaugas was a widower and decided not to waste time and simply married his first wife' sister. The problem was that the lady was already married to Daumantas.... The ploters used the fact as a rightfull reason for revenge and killed Mindaugas and his younger sons. War started and after some years the rebells lost. Treniota was killed and Daumantas ran away to Pskov. He was baptised, married to a daughter of a local nobleman and lived many years in glory.
As far as Pehiory is a monastery that still is a place where monks live and not just a touristic object, you must obbey... more travel advice
remigia's Related Pages
Pskov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pskov - ancient Russian city"
- "Pskov is 1100 years old"
- "Travel Tips:"
- "Four days in Pskov and surroundings..."
- "West Frontier of Russia"
- "Wellcome to a fortress"
- "under construction"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pskov
- Hotels in Pskov
- Transportation in Pskov
- Nightlife in Pskov
- Restaurants in Pskov
- Shopping in Pskov
- Warnings and Dangers in Pskov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pskov
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Pskov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pskov
Photos in PskovSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Kaunas Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Laane-Virumaa Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saaremaa 8 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Edirne Ili Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos
- Lithuania Intro, 5 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Druskininkai Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haapsalu Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Wales Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Kuressaare Intro, 1 review, 8 photos
- Beysehir Intro, 1 review, 8 photos