"Meiningen - "railwayana"" Meiningen by PeteNL
Meiningen Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 26 photos
"Meiningen" to me is synonymous with railwayana, having a great workshop where they (re)build steam engines. I admit, I'm a railway fan, but no freak (I think...) . Actually, I enjoy the scenery and buildings alongside a railway more than "just" the engines - but this place is special!
It used to be part of the Deutsche Reichsbahn (Eastern Germany) with 2000 people working there before 1989. Still some 500 were left when I first visited in 1993, now I think it's reduced to 150, and they're still in the process of privatizing - maybe a good investment for a rich and railway-minded VT-er!?
The Adler replica shown above was built for the 100 year of German raiways event in 1935, the original Adler being the first engine on the first German railway line to be opened between Nürnberg and Fürth.
The replica was sadly destroyed by a huge fire in the Nürnberg railway museum in October 2005, along with 10 other older and more recent engines. Almost inmediately afterwards an initiative was set up to restore this famous engine. More details on this initiative are under "tips".
Some more work to be done here ... both on the trains and on this page!
The snowploughs here are also built by this workshop. Could be helpful for your backyard...
- Pros:nice countryside (Thüringer Wald, great forest trails!), town is "neat", train workshop is just great
- Cons:like many towns in the (former east), the restoration is too "neat" in places - I prefer an alley with trees and some partly restored houses from a 'spotless' square with fresly painted buildings!
- In a nutshell:just a nice place in the heart of Germany!
On my first visit the backalleys were still very much rundown, but especially in the centre a good job is being done,... more travel advice
PeteNL's Related Pages
Meiningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Meiningen - "railwayana""
- "Theater, Castles and Steamstrains"
- "Welcome to Meiningen"
- "Schloss Landsberg"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Meiningen
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Meiningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Meiningen
Top 10 Pages
- De Steeg Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaliningradskaya Oblast' Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Fendels Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Wageningen Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lathum Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuldiga Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Buren Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanton Graubünden/Grischun Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sigulda Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Caha Mountains Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos