"Meiningen - "railwayana"" Meiningen by PeteNL

Meiningen Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 26 photos

"Meiningen" to me is synonymous with railwayana, having a great workshop where they (re)build steam engines. I admit, I'm a railway fan, but no freak (I think...) . Actually, I enjoy the scenery and buildings alongside a railway more than "just" the engines - but this place is special!

It used to be part of the Deutsche Reichsbahn (Eastern Germany) with 2000 people working there before 1989. Still some 500 were left when I first visited in 1993, now I think it's reduced to 150, and they're still in the process of privatizing - maybe a good investment for a rich and railway-minded VT-er!?

The Adler replica shown above was built for the 100 year of German raiways event in 1935, the original Adler being the first engine on the first German railway line to be opened between Nürnberg and Fürth.
The replica was sadly destroyed by a huge fire in the Nürnberg railway museum in October 2005, along with 10 other older and more recent engines. Almost inmediately afterwards an initiative was set up to restore this famous engine. More details on this initiative are under "tips".

Some more work to be done here ... both on the trains and on this page!

The snowploughs here are also built by this workshop. Could be helpful for your backyard...

• Pros:nice countryside (Thüringer Wald, great forest trails!), town is "neat", train workshop is just great
  • Cons:like many towns in the (former east), the restoration is too "neat" in places - I prefer an alley with trees and some partly restored houses from a 'spotless' square with fresly painted buildings!
  • In a nutshell:just a nice place in the heart of Germany!
  • Last visit to Meiningen: Jun 2000
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2005 at 4:53 PM

I never realized there was a railway workshop in Meiningen, so now I have a second reason to go there (the first being the opera). Actually I have been there once, but only stopped at the theater restaurant for supper on the way from Suhl to Eisenach.

• Weissdorn's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2004 at 7:34 AM

Thanks for the nice tips on Meiningen - hope you get to write more!

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2004 at 9:07 AM

Great start! I can't remmeber my last visit here.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2003 at 8:59 AM

Reminds me of the Great steamers i used to see from our Balcony and on train rides to high school ;-))) see www.rovos.com

• craic's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2003 at 4:41 AM

Not a train enthusiast but an enthusiast of anyone who has an enthusiasm.

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2003 at 12:33 AM

Never to old to learn. This railmuseum looks very intresting. Thanks and keep up the good work. Groetjes, Paul

• slaybelle's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2003 at 6:38 PM

great start and good pictures, hope to see more!

PeteNL

“What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!”

Badges & Stats in Meiningen

Have you been to Meiningen?