"De Steeg, Veluwezoom National Park" De Steeg by PeteNL

De Steeg Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 27 photos

My former home town of De Steeg offers a variety of walks and cycle tours, most of all into the Veluwezoom National Park (over 5000 hectares).

The National Park offers both extended forests and (dry) heather "uplands", a bit hilly at times.
On the lower areas, closer to the IJssel river, are several castles and manor houses, embedded in their (former) estates. De Steeg itself , small as it has, has 2 of them: Middachten castle and Rhederoord "manor" ("Landgoed"). Latter I know best, back from my childhood days....
Pavlik_NL has more on Middachten on his Rheden page!

foreign workforce...

What to do when the local sheep herd alone is not enough to keep the grass and the bushes low... we import cattle (!) from Scotland. The "highlanders" were introduced in the 1980s and can now be found throughout nature reserves in the Netherlands, along with "Konik" horses and other exotic field workers.

• Intro Updated Feb 5, 2006

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2006 at 3:11 AM

Interesting...are you sure the Devil's stone is not an early "bowling ball?"

• deWilde's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2006 at 3:17 PM

I love that I am not the only one that takes pictures of food! Looks tasty!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2006 at 6:37 AM

Your tip on the devil's stone reminds me of stones and stories about such places in Rhode Island, USA. Guess many virgin forests have such stone deposits. Your story is far more exotic and interesting than any I've heard so far.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2006 at 12:14 PM

The place looks so charming and peaceful; definitely something for me. Thank you for your birthday wishes.

• Apr 16, 2006 at 1:42 PM

The Bospop line up looks great - but the dates aren't good for me unfortunately - I'm working then :(

• Inguuna's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 1:34 PM

hmmm, yes devil stone is similar :) very beautiful pictures with heather fields.

PeteNL Visits Here Frequently!

PeteNL

“What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!”

Badges & Stats in De Steeg

Have you been to De Steeg?