"De Steeg, Veluwezoom National Park" De Steeg by PeteNL
De Steeg Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 27 photos
My former home town of De Steeg offers a variety of walks and cycle tours, most of all into the Veluwezoom National Park (over 5000 hectares).
The National Park offers both extended forests and (dry) heather "uplands", a bit hilly at times.
On the lower areas, closer to the IJssel river, are several castles and manor houses, embedded in their (former) estates. De Steeg itself , small as it has, has 2 of them: Middachten castle and Rhederoord "manor" ("Landgoed"). Latter I know best, back from my childhood days....
Pavlik_NL has more on Middachten on his Rheden page!
What to do when the local sheep herd alone is not enough to keep the grass and the bushes low... we import cattle (!) from Scotland. The "highlanders" were introduced in the 1980s and can now be found throughout nature reserves in the Netherlands, along with "Konik" horses and other exotic field workers.
In the forest belonging to the nearby Middachten estate, you will find one of the rare ice age relics, a single rock... more travel advice
The main season is the late summer, when the heather blossoms in shades of purple, usually around mid August. But also... more travel advice
PeteNL's Related Pages
De Steeg Travel Guide
- Things to Do in De Steeg
- Hotels in De Steeg
- Transportation in De Steeg
- Restaurants in De Steeg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in De Steeg
- 9 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to De Steeg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in De Steeg
Photos in De SteegSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- De Steeg Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaliningradskaya Oblast' Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Fendels Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Wageningen Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lathum Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuldiga Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Buren Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanton Graubünden/Grischun Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sigulda Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Caha Mountains Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (26)
Latest De Steeg hotel reviews
- Landgoed Rhederoord
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 6, 2013