"Rhederlaag - recreational gateway to the Veluwe" Lathum by PeteNL
Lathum Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 23 photos
The southeastern edge of the Veluwe, near Rheden and De Steeg, is bordered by the river IJssel, a side arm (delta stream) of the Rhine river.
In the 1960s and 1970s this area was "opened" for the sand industry, to supply building sand and gravel for the many road and housing projects in this part of the Netherlands. The river bed was "straigthened" and a highway built to improve the access to the region as well as the river transport, which was restricted due to several bends or meanders near Rheden.
In a cut-off bend and adjoining sand pits, creating several man made lakes, the Rhederlaag recreational area was developed, now consisting of several campings, housing estates, marinas and sandy beaches.
Ferries, like the foot and bicycle ferry to Rheden, create a direct link to the Veluwezoom National park (see our De Steeg page).
The campings over both full service compounds and some "wild camping" areas, where you can set up your tents or caravans with only basic faciliaties, though not far away from the service areas.
Swimming is possible in the many sandpits and not just there, you may even try the river itself, though you must take care with the currents and the passing ships.
- Pros:Many facities, national park nearby, easy access
- Cons:sometimes busy, close to roads causing some noise "pollution"
- In a nutshell:nice spot to discover the Veluwe, Arnhem area
The Veerstal offer both a "normal" campground, with small plots for campers and caravans, facilities, a campshop and a... more travel advice
Written Jun 24, 2006
Written Jun 25, 2007
"Ligo"in Lathum revisited!
PeteNL's Related Pages
Lathum Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Lathum
- 2 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Lathum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lathum
Photos in LathumSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- De Steeg Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaliningradskaya Oblast' Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Fendels Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Wageningen Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lathum Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuldiga Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Buren Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanton Graubünden/Grischun Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sigulda Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Caha Mountains Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos