"Baiba Hopping the Frisian Islands" Terschelling by PeteNL

Terschelling Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 131 photos

Preparing for an adventure never had before

Despite of my not so bright sportive background, I still always had this dream to make a several-day-trip on my bike. I succeeded in talking two of my friends into the same thing and the preparating could start.
First of all, what I did was renting a bike which later prooved to be a mistake. Thus, tip number 1! If you are planning on spending many hours a day on bike, do use the bike you are used to! I rented one of those new sophisticated bikes which didn't have the nice ergonomic seat like the one I got from my mother-in-law.

When, where, how and why to go?

If you have a good bike, a small tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag and a sense of directions, you are almost set to go island hopping. Money is important, too of course and honestly, the whole venture came out to be more expensive than inicially estimated. The internet is enough to plan your journey and regarding accommodation there is just any kind for any budget on all 3 islands. We, as students, went for the cheapest possible - camping. Not without disappointment during the 20 h rain we got on Terschelling. :/
Lesson #2! make sure your tent is small enough to fit it in the laundry dryer on your camping.

On the way!

On a rainy day in August, 3 friends - a Latvian (Baiba), an Australian and a German started off with their bikes packed.
We begun in Zeddam which is about 200 km from the point where we were suppoused to catch the ferry to our first destination-island. Since it was meant to be more fun than sore bums, we cought the train after having cycled 30 km.
How we survived the next week and who of us gave up first, you can read in th etravelogues of this site. :)

• Last visit to Terschelling: Aug 2004
  • Intro Written Oct 18, 2004

PeteNL

“What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!”

Badges & Stats in Terschelling

Have you been to Terschelling?