"Baiba Hopping the Frisian Islands" Terschelling by PeteNL
Terschelling Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 131 photos
Despite of my not so bright sportive background, I still always had this dream to make a several-day-trip on my bike. I succeeded in talking two of my friends into the same thing and the preparating could start.
First of all, what I did was renting a bike which later prooved to be a mistake. Thus, tip number 1! If you are planning on spending many hours a day on bike, do use the bike you are used to! I rented one of those new sophisticated bikes which didn't have the nice ergonomic seat like the one I got from my mother-in-law.
If you have a good bike, a small tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag and a sense of directions, you are almost set to go island hopping. Money is important, too of course and honestly, the whole venture came out to be more expensive than inicially estimated. The internet is enough to plan your journey and regarding accommodation there is just any kind for any budget on all 3 islands. We, as students, went for the cheapest possible - camping. Not without disappointment during the 20 h rain we got on Terschelling. :/
Lesson #2! make sure your tent is small enough to fit it in the laundry dryer on your camping.
On a rainy day in August, 3 friends - a Latvian (Baiba), an Australian and a German started off with their bikes packed.
We begun in Zeddam which is about 200 km from the point where we were suppoused to catch the ferry to our first destination-island. Since it was meant to be more fun than sore bums, we cought the train after having cycled 30 km.
How we survived the next week and who of us gave up first, you can read in th etravelogues of this site. :)
A backpack and a bicycle luggage bag. A nice map holder for the bike is very helpful as well. As little as possible... more travel advice
As far as I experienced, you can do a lot on Terschelling. Be aware of a lot of other holiday makers doing the same what... more travel advice
PeteNL's Related Pages
Terschelling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LOVELY TERSCHELLING"
- "Sea, Sand, Dunes"
- "Baiba Hopping the Frisian Islands"
- "Terschelling _ Oerol"
- "Back to Terschelling even if I become 100"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Terschelling
- Hotels in Terschelling
- Transportation in Terschelling
- Nightlife in Terschelling
- Restaurants in Terschelling
- Shopping in Terschelling
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Terschelling
- 4 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Terschelling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Terschelling
Top 10 Pages
- De Steeg Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaliningradskaya Oblast' Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Fendels Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Wageningen Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lathum Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuldiga Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Buren Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanton Graubünden/Grischun Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sigulda Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Caha Mountains Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos