"Wageningen, our university city!" Wageningen by PeteNL
Wageningen Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 45 photos
Welcome to Wageningen, town where both of us are/were studying!
Aptly named "city of life sciences", it's a small town of 35 000 inhabitants, centred around the university and research institutes.
But not all inhabitants are students or have to do with the university, which has a history of more than 130 years. Starting off as an agricultural college on a sub-university level (like a "polytechnic") it is now among the leading institutes on agriculture and life sciences and beyond.
Some of the University buildings still show a bit of the old character, others are have a modern, high-tech look or are recently modernized. The 5000+ students still spread out over the whole town, though 2 new buildings will lead to a concentration of activities later this year. A merger with a polytechnic college on life sciences, that will partly move to Wageningen in the process, will make the focus on the "city of life sciences" even stronger.
The town itself has also buildings of interest, and a surrounding landscape that invites for other, outdoor, activities: cycling, hiking on the small hills, rowing on the Rhine river, and skating on the former river arms and tributaries in winter.
See the travelogues and tips for some more images and stories!
- Pros:nice city, international character, nice surroundings
- Cons:relatively small, only few cultural events
- In a nutshell:bustling small student & science town!
What is a Dutch town without a windmill. This one, "De Vlijt", is still working and opens on thursdays to saturdays,... more travel advice
Wageningen and the surrounding region played a fairly important role in World War 2. A battlefield at nearby Grebbeberg... more travel advice
PeteNL's Related Pages
Wageningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wageningen, our university city!"
- "Wageningen, town of freedom and liberation"
- "A small, great city In Holland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wageningen
- Transportation in Wageningen
- Nightlife in Wageningen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wageningen
- 6 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Wageningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wageningen
Photos in WageningenSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- De Steeg Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaliningradskaya Oblast' Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Fendels Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Wageningen Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lathum Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuldiga Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Buren Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanton Graubünden/Grischun Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sigulda Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Caha Mountains Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos