"An "out of the world" place!" Great Skelligs by PeteNL
Great Skelligs Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 83 photos
I had seen the Skelligg experience, a more or less interesting information centre on Valentia Island, just off the Ring of Kerry. But already there I had the feeling I needed to go to Skelligs itself to get a real picture of the place.
This feeling proved only right, when I first got on the boat from Ballinskelligs, on a sunny and warm morning, late september (!)
The boattrip was already unusual, flat sea, sitting in the sun in a T-shirt... (later I heard they often cancel visits late september because of the bad weather that time of year!)
The 600 odd steps uphill on Skellig Michael (or Great Skellig) are worth the climb. The old monastic settlement up there, dating back to the 6th century and abandoned in the 12th century, looks remarkably intact. Some restoring has been done, but much of it is in original state.
The feel of the place is more than just "special", it's "out of this world"! Imagine sitting in the Atlantic, an hour and a half by boat from the nearest shore, on a steap rock with an absolutely stunning view.....
The cross on the picture is said to be one of the earliest of it's kind - but then again everything on Skellig is from early Christian times.
Little Skellig, in the background hosts a gannett colony along with other birds - all in all 20,000! The droppings make the hilltop look a bit whitish....
I went back there later, in summertime, July..... but the weather was totally different! Overcast, high seas because of bad weather the night before, and the waves at times were higher than the ship! Some of my travelpartners and fellow travellers on the ship go some seasickness...
Still, once landed on the island the feeling was almost the same, though maybe not as "stunning" as the first time.
For details on the boattrips, I started with some tips Other than that I would like to refer to the great pages Globetrott and Sabsi made on the Skelligs!
You go to various places along the coast for a boat trip. On my first visit I took off from Ballinskelligs, must have... more travel advice
PeteNL's Related Pages
Great Skelligs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great and Small Skellig"
- "My favourite place on Earth"
- "An "out of the world" place!"
- "The Island Monastery"
- "A trip to the Skelligs can never be forgotten!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Skelligs
- Hotels in Great Skelligs
- Transportation in Great Skelligs
- Nightlife in Great Skelligs
- Restaurants in Great Skelligs
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Skelligs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Skelligs
- 2 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Great Skelligs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Skelligs
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: Amsterdam airport to Bocholt,..."
- Commented on one of Folbi's Great Skelligs travel pages
- updated a Great Skelligs Travel Page "An "out of the world" place!"
- Wrote a Review Take one of the various boattrips - or go diving! about Murphy Sea Cruise in Great Skelligs Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "An "out of the world" place!"
Top 10 Pages
- De Steeg Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos
- Kaliningradskaya Oblast' Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Fendels Intro, 7 reviews, 24 photos, 3 travelogues
- Wageningen Intro, 6 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lathum Intro, 2 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuldiga Intro, 7 reviews, 9 photos
- Buren Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kanton Graubünden/Grischun Intro, 2 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sigulda Intro, 6 reviews, 4 photos
- Caha Mountains Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos