"Pagosa Springs" Pagosa Springs by pkschack

Pagosa Springs Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 26 photos

My Favorite Vacation Spot

Pagosa Springs is my favorite place to vacation. As a lover of the mountains I have fallen in love with all of the beautiful scenery.

I have especially enjoyed hiking with my family to a nearby stream and skipping rocks.

What is an added benefit is the fact that this area is not overly populated.

I would move here in an instant when I have a job to do so.

Mountain Drives

When taking a day off from hiking in the wilderness it is a fantastic experience to take a drive through the mountains and drink in the beauty of God's creation unspoiled by population.

My special favorite is the drive from Durango to Ouray. This picture is taken between Durango and Silverton.

Durango to Silverton Train

If you travel to Pagosa the one activity that should be in everyone's itinerary is a trip on the Durango-Silverton Train.

The ride is of course nastalgic and the scenery is breath-taking. One item that puts all of this into perspective is this. Even in 2003, there are only 2 ways into this area. One is the Train, and the other is the Million Dollar Highway.

The section in the picture is built on a ledge that was blasted out of the rock by dynamite placed by workers lowered down from the top of the cliff above.

Make sure you don't miss a trip on the train.

• Pros:A beautiful mountain area without all the people.
  • Cons:It may take quite a drive to get here.
  • In a nutshell:I have totally fallen in love with this town and area.
  • Last visit to Pagosa Springs: Jul 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 1, 2003

pkschack

“Let's Experience Nature”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Pagosa Springs

Have you been to Pagosa Springs?

Latest Activity in Pagosa Springs