"I love to travel!" IceCurler's Profile

This is my travel buddy.

I chose this picture as my member photo because it shows my almost constant travel companion and I together on our most recent big trip. This is the two of us on the July 2002 Elderhostel 'Rural Kenya' trip. I thought I would talk about Mums first of all, because she is the reason I have been able to travel so much, and I'd like to dedicate my VT pages to her.

I am so lucky that Mums loves to travel and she wants company. Because of her, I have visited more places than anyone I know. She is always open to meeting new people, so we make lots of friends wherever we go.

Right now, she is off on a trip without me :( to New Zealand and Australia. But, she has my sister's family with her for support. I'll be picking her up Friday night to see how everything went (I also get to be her 'airport limo'.)

We live together in Chester Harbor, a small community on the Eastern Shore of Maryland alongside Chestertown. Because we are across the Chester river, we are in a different county, but our mail comes addressed to Chestertown. We also have two dogs who haven't ever traveled with us, a dachshund named Lady Daphne, and a greyhound named Countess Cecily. Someday we would like to go to Delaware (only a few hours away) for the big big big greyhound get together at the beach.

Our next big travel plan is to go to China on a Yangtze river trip before the water level rises up and covers the old places. We are hoping to work that in this year, 2003. We would love to hear from anyone who has done the same. I would like to find a good long trip (about 10 days) that is just the river, and catch the other, non-vanishing and closer to the shore, sights, on a later trip.

Most of our world travel has been on the Love Boats of Princess (P&O) cruises. We like not having to unpack and repack again and again. We enjoy getting dressed up for the formal nights, and sometimes look pretty spiffy when it is just a semi-formal night. And we can always be found participating in the trivia games, one of our favorite pastimes.

The last trip we took (July 2002) was our first with Elderhostel. Mums had always wanted to go on an African safari, and I thought Elderhostel would be a good choice since we weren't looking for great exertion, but didn't want to miss out seeing anything. We had one day with a lot of walking, but it was worth it many times over, as we got to be right in amongst the giraffes and zebras.

We also travel closer to home. Every fall we go to Cape May, New Jersey, for the Sherlock Holmes mystery weekend ("Victorian Holmes"). We have both created Victorian style garb and wear it through most of the weekend activities. And almost every Wednesday night we go to Annie's Paramount Steak House on Kent Island (near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge) for, you guessed it, a night of world travel trivia playing 'Passport' on NTN.

More to come...

I'll be adding more to this page and building my travel pages up. This is my first experience with this sort of thing on the internet. I just got a digital camera the day before my trip to Kenya and was trying to learn how to use it during the time I spent on the airplane. I left the manual behind in my seat pocket by mistake as we arrived in Nairobi, so that was all the background I had for the remainder of the safari. I have tons of photos from that trip, and I have just learned how to crunch them down a bit (optimize), so they will load quickly on the internet.

Now I also have a scanner, which I haven't even figured out where I will put it, or how to use it. After I do, I will be able to scan some of the photos from other places I have gone and include them, too. I'd also like to include more information about the area I live, so I have quite a job ahead of me.

If there are any places I have gone to that are of particular interest, let me know and I will prioritize them higher and let you know when I post the info -- especially if it is any of the regions in the Kenyan rift valley or highlands, as I at least have most of my photos in a digital fashion.

I'm looking forward to sharing some of the things we saw in Kenya that not everyone gets to see, like our visit to a Masai village and a rural school. I have some beautiful wildlife photos to share as well.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my page. I hope you saw something you liked, and hopefully, you will find more in the future. Cheers! - 'Sool'

• Intro Updated Mar 20, 2003

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
IceCurler's Profile Photo

IceCurler

“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen. - Ralph Waldo Emerson”

Ranked Member