"My Nashville page" Nashville by OlenaKyiv

Nashville Travel Guide: 786 reviews and 1,932 photos

First time I visited Nashville on New Year 2004 visiting my friend I met online and never met before. We spent great time with a lot of fun. Also I visit the same friend in 2005, 2006. Believe me or not I never saw Nashville during those visits. Hospitality of my friend and her family was so great that we didn’t dare to leave her house for a short tour. I don’t regret, because again and again we had wonderful time with her and her family. Finally, on summer 2007 we left my friend alone with her chores of her 3 kids for a short three-hour tour around Nashville.

How Nashville began
The first known settlers in the area of modern Nashville were Native Americans of the Mississippian culture, who lived in the area from about 1000 to 1400 CE. They sowed and harvested corn, made great earthen mounds, and painted richly decorated pottery. They then mysteriously disappeared. Other Native Americans, the Cherokee, Chickasaw and Shawnee, followed and used the area as a hunting ground.

The Spaniard Hernando DeSoto came through the area on his explorations in the 16th century but made no settlement. French fur traders were the earliest tradesmen in Middle Tennessee, establishing a trading post around 1717. The first of these fur traders to appear was a young trapper from New Orleans named Charles Charleville who, in 1714, built his post on a mound near the present site of Nashville. Extensive trade was carried on with Native American tribes frequenting the hunting ground. However, Charleville's station did not remain, and by 1740, Middle Tennessee was again without a single white resident. The establishment of this and subsequent posts by men of French descent gave the locality around Nashville the name "French Lick", by which it was known to early historians. In 1769, French-Canadian hunter Timothy Demonbreun built a cabin near a natural sulfur spring (the area would eventually be called Sulphur Dell) to use as a base of operations for fur trapping during his visits to the area.

The first permanent community of pioneers, however, was not established until 1779. A group of about two hundred settlers, led by James Robertson, left the Watauga settlement in northwestern North Carolina, traveled overland for two months, and arrived on the banks of the Cumberland River near the center of present downtown Nashville on Christmas Day, 1779. They cleared the land and built a log stockade they called Fort Nashborough in honor of General Francis Nash, who won acclaim in the American Revolution.

• Pros:Hot
  • Cons:Humid
  • Last visit to Nashville: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 24, 2007

• stuckphila's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Your pic looks high class compared to Philly;

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2008 at 7:44 AM

For such a short visit, you have made a very interesting and thorough page on the city of Nashville.

OlenaKyiv

“I know that I know nothing”

Badges & Stats in Nashville

Have you been to Nashville?

Latest Activity in Nashville