"This city gives you warmth even during cold winter" Top 5 Page for this destination Colorado Springs by OlenaKyiv

Colorado Springs Travel Guide: 525 reviews and 1,038 photos

What is Colorado Springs for me?

Colorado Springs is city which seems to be like your home even you are not from this area. It seems a little small (if you will compare to Denver), but it gives some quiet spirit. I saw its photos before I came to it and I couldn't believe that it is so close to mountains. And I still couldn't believe that when I looked at Pikes Peak sitting on the bench in Colorado Springs' downtown. This city just goes to the nature of great hills and you feel yourself like you are in old times and with miners and discoveres just started settling down at this place, it is like you are not a winner of the nature yet and you can't see many steps of man here. Of course you understand that I am talking about things which appeare in my mind :-) Then high buildings bring you back and you realize that you are in true American downtown of nice and developed city.

Residence of Colorado Springs love their city. They talk a lot about the mountains and weather. So for me it was so funny during first days to hear talks about Pikes Peak and whether there is snow or not. It looked like "oh, it is snowing on Pikes Peak. I guess snow will go on tomorrow also". I felt myself like I am in England where people talk so much about weather :-) (I heard that they do ...hehehe). But then with time I understood that I am involved in this tradition step by step and every morning I got up with a look on Pikes Peak to get to know either it was covered with snow or hiding in clouds.
Sun gives some brightness to the sky and air gives some freshness to your nose. You feel yourself like somewhere far from noise of a big city.

Colorado Springs is the location for 5 military bases: The United States Air Force Academy, Fort Carson, Schriever Air Force Base, Peterson Air Force Base, NORAD North American Aerospace Defense Command. So you will see many military people on the streets. I would say that Colorado Springs is the city of military people and it gives some kind of confidence in living :-)

Colorado Springs is home to the headquarters of the U.S. Olympic Committee and Olympic Training Center, the world's finest multi-sport training facility. Many other national nonprofit organizations have moved their headquarters to the Pikes Peak region.

A brief History of Colorado Springs

William J. Palmer, a Civil War veteran who became chief engineer for the Kansas Pacific railroad, made his first trip to the Pikes Peak region in July 1869. He realized the confluence of Monument and Fountain creeks would be an ideal stop on the railroad he wanted to build along the Front Range. By the winter of 1869, Palmer had decided he wanted to develop that resort and began buying the land on which Colorado Springs sits. Ultimately he purchased 10,000 acres from the U.S. government for less than $1 an acre.

The Kansas Pacific railway reached Denver in August 1870, and the general knew it was time to build his town. But first, people needed a way to get there, so in the fall he organized the Denver and Rio Grande Railway Company. It took him six months to raise the money for the first section of the railway, from Denver to Colorado Springs. Once the financing was secured and construction had begun, Palmer organized the Colorado Springs Company to found "The Fountain Colony." On June 26, 1871, the company met in Denver and planned the town.

The first structures included a log cabin, built in 1870 on the site of the Denver and Rio Grande Depot on Sierra Madre Street; a one- room cabin near the corner of Pikes Peak and Cascade avenues, put up a week after the first stake was driven; and a building on the east side of Tejon Street, just below Huerfano, that housed the post office and Palmer's office.
In August, the town was opened for settlement and took off right away, thanks to advertising in the United States and England. The circulars invited people of good moral character and strict non- drinking habits to join the colony. So many people came from England - about 20 percent of the first decade's population - that Denver residents dubbed the new town "Little London."

In the 1890s, Colorado Springs found it was surrounded by more than scenic wealth. Gold was discovered in nearby Cripple Creek in 1891, and Colorado Springs found itself a thriving financial center. The golden years lasted until 1917, when the U.S. went to silver for its coinage and the local economy once again emphasized tourism.

Looking to expand its economic base, the city offered land to the military in 1942. With the start of World War II, Fort Carson was established on 137,000 acres to the south of Colorado Springs. The military's presence grew in the 1950s with the opening of the U.S. Air Force Academy. Over the next 30 years, Peterson Air Force Base, Cheyenne Mountain Air Force Base and Schriever Air Force Base helped create Colorado Springs' reputation as the nation's military space capital, housing the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), and other Space Command centers.

Useful links
www.springs.gov
www.Downtowncs.com
Downloadable Walking Tour Broshure

What I don’t like about Colorado Springs: it is a small town, as one of the VT members said “family oriented.” Except enjoying outdoors and the beauty of the nature, there are not so many things to do. For me, person of large cities, this city is a boring one.

What I do like about Colorado Springs: closeness to the mountains, the beauty, the quietness.

My solution to my feelings is to live and work in large Denver and come to Colorado Springs on weekends for relaxing, walking, and eating in restaurants.

During my visits to Colorado Springs I also like to spend some time in Manitou Springs, which is a few minutes away from Colorado Springs. Not so many travelers know about that small town, although it is a good place to buy a lot of Colorado souvenirs and try mineral waters. You are welcome to visit my Manitou Springs page on which I worked hard trying to tell more about one of my favorite places.

• Pros:Mountains and sun
  • Cons:Snow even during spring
  • Last visit to Colorado Springs: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated May 29, 2007

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Went to college here long time back. Looks like it has grown a bit in 30 years. Nicely done. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

• painterdave's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2007 at 6:43 AM

The camel on the right used to have a hump, but some soldier from Fort Carson was climbing in the 50's and knocked the hump off. People were very upset, but--oh well. Nice photos very professional

• Erin09340's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 7:43 AM

I enjoyed your Colorado Springs page. You're right on target when you mentioned how many people love living there. My husband and I were the rare exception.

OlenaKyiv

“I know that I know nothing”

Badges & Stats in Colorado Springs

Have you been to Colorado Springs?