"My lovely native city Kyiv" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiev by OlenaKyiv

Kiev Travel Guide: 1,676 reviews and 4,292 photos

An ancient city

Well…. So from what to start first? Kyiv is the capital of Ukraine and its population is blah..blah…blah. You can find this info everywhere. So first of all I would like to tell that Kyiv is one of the most beautiful cities in the world especially during spring when you can enjoy blossoming of chestnut trees (the symbol of Kyiv), green grass of numerous alleys and tight air because of perfumes of blossoming. Kyiv’s churches make you think that you are not in XXI century, but hundreds years ago, you want to come closer to walls, to touch them and to feel the ancient times when our ancestors hadn’t know what computers, cars and different modern things are. To my mind beauty of Kyiv is old monuments, but at the same time if you are a person of space world, you can see modern buildings, customs, services and places that live in harmony with rarities.

The legend about the founding of Kiev is very beautiful: “And there were three brothers: Kiy, Scheck, Khoriv, and their sister was Lybid. They built a town and they called it Kiev, after the oldest brother.” This is the starting point of the history of the city on the Dnieper – the acknowledge spiritual center of Rus, Ukraine and the eastern Slavs.

You SHOULD see this by your eyes

What is worth to see in Kyiv? I could put very long list with famous places, sights.
Did you hear Kchreshchatik street?
Pecherskaya Lavra?
St. Sophia Cathedral?
Golden Gate?
Podol?
Andreyevsky spusk?
If you didn’t, I assure you then you don’t know Kiev at all.

Other places:
Mariyinskiy Palace,
the Iron Lady (Rodina-Mat’ statue),
Babiy Yar,
bridges,
Dnipro, one of the longest rivers in Europe that has lots of resort-inlands,
Hydropark – resort area with beaches, cafes, clubs and casinos.

Theatres
National Opera Theatre,
Ivan Franko Ukrainian Drama Theatre,
Lesya Ukrayinka Russian Drama theatre,
Operetta (musical) Theatre,
Drama and Comedy theatre on the Left bank,
Bravo,
Koleso

Kyiv is full with night clubs, casinos, restaurants, cafes, so you will be able to shake your body and have a drink.

• Pros:beautiful and amazing
  • In a nutshell:Antiquity and Present together
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2007

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I have been to your city twice and love it very much. Great page!

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Thanks for the introduction to Kiev, we plan on visiting our friend Inga there in the near future.
    Martin

• Lady_Mystique's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2009 at 3:11 AM

My great-grandfather was the cantor of St. Sophia Cathedral. Many, many years of course!

• pcg821's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2008 at 4:51 PM

Wonderful tips and photos about Kiev,it is one of the city i would really enjoy to visit soon,

• y2ketan2007's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2007 at 9:50 AM

A superb page on Kiev .

• DunaKal's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2007 at 4:13 AM

Great tips and pix i would love to visit Kyiv one day ;-)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Olenka, gorgeous page with interesting info and brilliant photos. In about 3 weeks I will be in Kyiv for the first time. I am really looking forward to seeing this fascinating city. :-)

• Museeuw's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Hey! I had no idea about Kiev. Now I have a little bit. Thanks! If I ever have the chance to go to Kiev, I'll definitely grab it.

• Apr 25, 2007 at 12:55 AM

nice page with many cool updates. though i've read first time that the beautiful girls are dangerous tip for the city :-))) will be visiting Kiev this weekend

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Hello Olenka! A great page on Kiev! I especially loved the little local stories and the photos. I am planning to go to Kiev this summer and will check your page again later.

OlenaKyiv

“I know that I know nothing”

Badges & Stats in Kiev