"Across Southern Safaris/ Tanzania" Selous Game Reserve by Yussuf
Selous Game Reserve Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 43 photos
At over 50,000 square kilometers, this is the largest game reserve in Africa, representing over 5% of Tanzania's total land area. The most outstanding feature of this enormous generally flat landscape is the drainage system comprised of three mighty rivers .. the Rufiji, Ruaha and Beho Beho.
Much of the landscape is a vast inaccessible swamp, where enormous populations of game exist unhindered by mankind. Only a relatively small corner of the game reserve is accessible to the visitor and there are just six camps licensed to operate within the park boundaries.
There are over 800,000 mammals in the park, including elephant and wild dog. Some of these populations are absolutely huge. There are so many giraffe in some areas that this is known in Dar as giraffic park.
Sand Rivers lodge
Additionally the rivers play host to large populations of hippo and crocodile, as well as an elusive population of dugong down in the Rufiji delta. On the other hand though, it is one of those parks where you can drive for abolutely ages without seeing a living thing.
The park is renowned for its birding, with at least 440 species being documented residents of the reserve. There are also numerous birds of prey including eagles, falcons and kites.
One of the most notable features of this largely flat landscape is a place called Steigler's Gorge, where the great Rufiji river is squeezes through a narrow granite gulley.
The gorge was named after a German hunter who was killed by an elephant here in 1907 and to this day it remains a place where the narrowness of the river can lead to some pretty close encounters with animals.
- Pros:walking safari,boat safari and sunset over Rufiji River
- In a nutshell:African of which many people dream
Yussuf's Related Pages
Selous Game Reserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Selous Game Reserve"
- "Selous - Tanzania's Untouched Wilderness"
- "Vast, Untamed and off the beaten track"
- "Across Southern Safaris/ Tanzania"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Selous Game Reserve
- Hotels in Selous Game Reserve
- Transportation in Selous Game Reserve
- Nightlife in Selous Game Reserve
- Restaurants in Selous Game Reserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Selous Game Reserve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Selous Game Reserve
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Selous Game Reserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Selous Game Reserve
Photos in Selous Game ReserveSee All Photos (1)
- Mikumi National Park 1 review, 1 photo
- Dar es Salaam Intro, 1 photo
- Selous Game Reserve Intro, 1 photo
- Ruaha National Park Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.