"Fiji" Top 5 Page for this destination Fiji by bjmd22

Fiji Travel Guide: 1,006 reviews and 2,976 photos

I spent about 6 weeks in Fiji. I went alone, this turned out to be a good decision. Fiji is an great place for solo travelers to meet people. Most of the travelers I met were from England, or Ireland. Fiji turned out not to be as untamed as I expected, but I wouldnt change a thing about my trip.
Fiji seemed to be more relaxed than what I expected from reading. The guide books made it seem as though people should tread lightly as not to offend anyone. I found the people trying not to offend me! I found thatas long as I was polite and respectful, no one had a problem with my cultural ignorance. They were so friendly that it is almost annoying. I don't no how many cups of tea I drank per day when someone invited me into their home. The people love to hear about where you come from, and to tell you about where they come from.
I started out in Nadi then flew down to Suva. While in the airport in Suva, I met a guy named Suli from Kadavu. He asked if I wanted to come and stay in his village to save money. So, I went. I spent a week there, then moved on to Taveuni. On Taveuni I stayed at Susie's Plantation resort. From Taveuni I went back to Nadi then to the Yasawas. I met the most people while in the Yasawas and stayed on several islands.
Yes, I know my logistic decisions seem a little unorganized, and I probably wasted alot of money on the routes that I chose, but I just couldnt stand the thought of arriving somewhere 3 days before returning home and wishing I had spent the entire trip there. I mean if I had only spent 1 week in the Yasawas I would have been upset to go home!

The Yasawas

The first place I stayed in the Yasawas was Orsmans bay, on Nacula(pronounced NaTHula). This resort has by far the best beach in the Yasawas. It was a very upscale backpacker place. My only complaint was that the price I was expecting was about half the actual price of F$75 per night for a dorm/with meals. From there I moved on to Korovou Eco Resort on Naviti. I met a lot of people there, and one guy that I traveled with for the next 3 weeks of my trip. After 4 nights there me and James went to Sunrise resort on Nanuya Lai Lai. This place was awfull. The only bad place I stayed in fiji. We quickly moved to Davids place, on Tavewa. We loved it, the people and food were great. After 4 days there we spent 2 nights at Beachcomber island, which was just what we needed after all that relaxation. From there it was on to Bounty Island, which was nice, but under construction and slightly over priced. From bounty me and James headed back to the mainland.

The mainland

I spent so much time on the outer islands that I didnt get to see as much of Viti Levu as would have liked to. One would think 6 weeks in Fiji would be plenty, but oh well. When we got back to Nadi we stayed in a place called SunSeeker's , it was right near town and had a very good atmosphere. I really didnt like any of the cities in Fiji the first time I passed through, but the second time they were much less intimidating and more fun. After a night in Nadi we gota cab down to Sigatoka, on the coral coast. We stayed at Club Masa right on the sand dunes. Sigatoka was a good town for shopping with out being hasseled like in Nadi. Club Masa was a surfer type hangout with a really laid back feel to it, and great food. For F$28 dollars a night with meals, it couldnt be beat. The beach at sigatoka was covered with driftwood. One girl described it as looking like an elephant graveyard, but it was stunning. Me and James went separate ways here, because he had to fly out. I hopped over to Ovalau, where the old capitol of Fiji, Levuka is located. Levuka was a little nicer than most Fijian towns, because most people there have jpbs in the local tuna cannery. The downside is the tuna really stinks. I hopped on a carrier with the help of the lady in the dive shop, over to RukuRuku to stay at Bobo's Farm. This is definatly the place to go if you want quiet relaxation. Its is also about the best place I found to try a variety of local foods..prepared very well. From there I went back to Nadi, to stay at sunseeker on more night, and then back home.

If you want to know more details about the places I stayed look in the accomodations section of my tips pages. I tried to give a fair reveiw of each place that I visited.

• Last visit to Fiji: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Jun 10, 2004

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I'll bear in mind the lip trembling, eye bulging serial killer stare. It sounds useful. Lovely page. Irene

• malianrob's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2008 at 10:56 PM

Hi, great tips. We will be in Fiji in a few days. Your tips are very helpful. How long is the drive from Nadi to Suva? Your tip says that the drive is amazing! I think we are going to do that. Maria

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Nice tips!

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2008 at 9:51 AM

great tips

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 6:05 AM

Hello! Thanks for sharing the great photos & tips! Really enjoyed reading them. Greetings from Dubai (where the beaches aren't that nice! :-) Jess

• kid-keith's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 1:08 AM

Superb Fiji pages mate, i hope to be going there in the near future got any 1st class tips on what i should take and where to go .

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2005 at 4:11 PM

Wonderfully informative pages, with some good laughs to spice it up! Thanks...Wendy

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2005 at 12:46 PM

Great Fiji pages. I'm going there next year - can't wait :-)

• wcph's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 4:10 AM

Very nice page, definitely helpful in planning my upcoming trip.

• AndreSTGT's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2005 at 8:24 AM

I absolutely love this Fiji page !! Brings back so many great memories and i can relate to many of the things you wrote in your introduction.

bjmd22's Related Pages