"The Mystery of Thousand Lakes" Top 5 Page for this destination Respublika Kareliya by Klod5
Respublika Kareliya Travel Guide: 371 reviews and 905 photos
La Carélie est une large bande de terre au nord de St.Petersburg entre la Finlande et la Mer Blanche. Pour beaucoup de voyageurs amateurs de nature sauvage, elle est associée à un millier de beaux lacs entourés de rivages sauvages et de paysages accidentés couverts d'une dense forêt de pins. La Carélie c'est aussi poissons et animaux sauvages en abondance. Le train de nuit amène le voyageur de St.Petersburg à Petrozavodsk. La capitale de la Carélie fondée par Pierre le Grand sur la rive du Lac Onega est la porte pour la plupart des voyages d'aventures et de découvertes au Nord de la Grande Russie.
Karelia is the land to the north from St.Petersburg between Finland and the White Sea. For many outdoor travelers it is usually associated with thousands of beautiful lakes surrounded by rocky shores and hilly landscape, massive fur- and pine-tree forests and abundance of fish and wild animals. In the distance of overnight train sleeper from St.Petersburg there is Petrozavodsk. The capital of Karelia founded by the Peter the Great on the bank of Lake Onega is the gate for most of adventure travel programs on the Russian North.
From here one can also take a hydrofoil boat to come to an amazing museum of wooden Russian architecture on the Kizhi island. Lakes kayaking and rafting down to the river Shuya are "the brand names" of Karelia. Many outdoor travelers return here every year for exciting kayaking holidays together with wild abundant nature and white summer nights. Treking along picturesque granite shores is less popular, though camping on a cosy bay with great fishing would make one's trip to remember.
On the way to Karelia is so called Karelian Isthmus, which stratches between the Gulf of Finland and Ladoga Lake to the north from St.Petersburg. Situated not far from the city it is the most favorite place for it's outdoor-minded citizens. Great diversity of outdoor sports available here makes this place a little mekka for local climbers, white water kayakers, velo bikers or just ramblers. It's reputation among local adventurers can compare with Glen Coe valley in Scotland or Colorado River Gorge.
It is my Ilona friend who is going to guide us during this stay in the small Respublika Kareliya.
Ilona is a journalist (more precisely critical of art, now), and she is widely-known in his country, because she worked like journalist to the television.
When I want to bother it, I tell him that I am happy to coast a star of the television.
Follow my travel in the Respublika Kareliya, on the four pages :
An tour on all country of this Respublica :
The Mystery of Thousand Lakes
The capital Petrozavodsk :
Ilona's city so faraway
Valaam and the monastery "Spaso-Preobrazhensky" :
The spiritual light of Russia
Kizhi island and the 82 monuments of wooden architecture :
Magic Kizhi island
All my Russian trips :
- Pros:Summer's days very longs, and the midnight sun
- Cons:Winter nights very longuest, coldest and hard
- In a nutshell:The far North from Ilona
Numerous petroglyphs have been found on the east shore of Onega. These Pudozh area paintings tell their own story of how... more travel advice
Getting ready for the journey The road network in Karelia is more demanding on a vehicle than in western countries.... more travel advice
Klod5's Related Pages
Respublika Kareliya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Russian Carelia (the north-west part of it)"
- "a great part of Russia"
- "The mysterious beauty of Russian North..."
- "The Mystery of Thousand Lakes"
- "Karjalasta kajahtaa - Echoes from Karelia!"
- "WELCOME TO KARELYA"
- "Karelia - magic and beauty of the Russian North"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Respublika Kareliya
- Hotels in Respublika Kareliya
- Transportation in Respublika Kareliya
- Nightlife in Respublika Kareliya
- Restaurants in Respublika Kareliya
- Shopping in Respublika Kareliya
- Warnings and Dangers in Respublika Kareliya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Respublika Kareliya
- 65 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Respublika Kareliya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Respublika Kareliya
- Wrote a Review Histoire in Respublika Kareliya Favorites
- updated a Respublika Kareliya Travel Page "The Mystery of Thousand Lakes"
- Posted in Travel Toulouse Forum "Re: non-tourism"
- Commented on one of Anjutka's Respublika Kareliya travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Devil's Nose located on the east shore of Oneg"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 187 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 122 reviews, 195 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Novosibirsk Intro, 105 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 83 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 83 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ukraine Intro, 78 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 74 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cherkasy Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 69 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue