"Escapade à Chambéry" Chambéry by Klod5

Chambéry Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 69 photos

Chambéry se situe dans une plaine enserrée entre le massif des Bauges à l'est (dominé par le Nivolet sur lequel on trouve la croix du Nivolet), le massif de la Chartreuse au sud (dominé par le Mont Granier), la chaîne de l'Épine à l'ouest avec la dent du chat et par le lac du Bourget au nord.
Les Romains nommaient Lemencum le relais implanté dans l'actuel quartier du Lémenc à Chambéry. Au Moyen Âge, la ville changea de nom lors de l'édification du château par les ducs.

Chambery is located in a plain enclosed between the massif of the Baugeses to the East (dominated by the Nivolet on which one finds the cross of the Nivolet), the massif of the Chartreuse to the south (dominated by the Mount Granier), the chain of the thorn to the west with the Dent du chat (tooth of the cat) and by the lake from Le Bourget to the north.
The Romans named Lemencum the relay implanted in the present district of the Lémenc in Chambery. At the Middle Ages, the city changed name at the time of the edification of the castle by the dukes.

Après la mort du général Comte de Boigne en 1831, la Ville de Chambéry décide d’élever un monument pour perpétuer le souvenir et les bienfaits de l’illustre personnage. Le Conseil de Ville a porté son choix sur le projet du Grenoblois Pierre-Victor Sappey, pour son originalité et son faible coût. Le monument est inauguré le 10 décembre 1838. L’ensemble, haut de 17,65 mètres, est une habile superposition de trois monuments: une fontaine, une colonne et une statue. La fontaine présente dans son plan la croix de Savoie. Quatre éléphants réunis par la croupe, réalisés en fonte de fer, jettent l’eau par la trompe dans un bassin de forme octogonale. Ils portent chacun une tour de combat surmontée d’un bas-relief ou d’une inscription. Au-dessus se trouvent une grande variété de trophées: « Des armes persanes, mongoles, indhoues ; divers objets rappelant les mœurs, les arts et la civilisation des peuples que le général de Boigne a combattus ou gouvernés, composent les trophées ». Extrait de la plaquette imprimée en 1838 par l’Imprimerie Prudhomme de Grenoble. La grande colonne est symbolisée par un tronc de palmier, elle porte en son sommet la statue du Général. Il est représenté avec le costume de lieutenant général de S.M. le roi de Sardaigne. Épargnée par le bombardement de mai 1944, la statue trône fièrement dans la perspective de la rue de Boigne et reste encore aujourd’hui un emblème fort de la ville. Cette fontaine est également connue sous le nom de « quatre sans cul », car seule la moitié antérieure des éléphants y est représentée.



After the death of the general Count of Boigne in 1831, the City of Chambéry decides to raise a monument to perpetuate the memory and the kindness of the famous character. The Council of City carried its choice on the project of the Grenoblois Pierre-Victor Sappey, for its originality and its weak cost. The monument is inaugurated December 10, 1838. The whole, high of 17,65 meters, is a clever superposition of three monuments : a fountain, a column and a statue. The present fountain in its plan the cross of Savoie. Four elephants united by the croup, achieved in cast iron, throw water by the horn in a basin of octagonal shape. They carry each a tower of fight surmounted of a bas-relief or an enrollment. Are a big variety of trophies above: «Of the Persian, Mongol weapons, indians ; various objects recalling the living, the arts and the civilization of the peoples that the general of Boigne fought governed either, compose the trophies». Excerpt of the tablet printed in 1838 by the Prudhomme printing of Grenoble. The big column is symbolized by a trunk of palm, it carries in its summit enacts it of the General. He is represented with the costume of general lieutenant of S.M. the king of Sardinia. Saved by the bombardment of May 1944, the statue sits proudly in the perspective of the Rue de Boigne and remain again today a strong emblem of the city. This fountain is also known as «four without ass», because only the previous half of the elephants is represented there.

Le monument le plus remarquable de Chambéry est le château des Ducs de Savoie, qui abrite aujourd'hui la préfecture et le conseil général. Juste à côté se trouve la Sainte Chapelle, qui a abrité de 1453 à 1578 le Saint-Suaire, avant qu'il soit transféré à Turin, pour suivre le changement de capitale des États de Savoie. On y domine la vieille ville.

The most remarkable monument of Chambery is the castle of the Dukes of Savoie, that shelters today the prefecture and the general advice. Just is the Saint Chapel, that sheltered 1453 to 1578 the Saint-Shroud nearby, before he/it is transferred to Turin, to follow the change of capital of the Étatses of Savoie. One dominates the old city there

  • Intro Updated Apr 11, 2007
  • Add to Trip Planner (?)
  • Report Abuse

Reviews (9)

Comments

Klod5

“Rien de tel que d'aller au bout du monde pour trouver des gens qui vont encore plus loin”

Online Now

Male

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 4 4 4

Badges & Stats in Chambéry

  • 9 Reviews
  • 46 Photos
  • 0 Forum posts
  • 0 Comments
  • 9,217PageViews

Have you been to Chambéry?

  Share Your Travels  

Latest Activity in Chambéry

Travel Interests

See All Travel Interests (5)