"On the doors of Asia" Tashkent by Klod5
Tashkent Travel Guide: 264 reviews and 578 photos
Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan and Central Asia's premier metropolis, betrays little of its 2,000-year history as a crossroads of ancient trade routes.This modern city of 2.1 million people, the fourth largest in the CIS after Moscow, St. Peterburg and Kiev, holds much to arrest the curious traveler, from imposing squares, monumentalist architecture and fine museums, to the mud-brick maze of the old Uzbek town, autumn colors on dappled poplar lanes and the sweet spray of fountains on burning summer days.
Tashkent's citizens are justifiably proud of their metro, Central Asia's first and bursting with decorative intent. Construction began in 1972 and extension of 30 kilometers makes metro the most convenient way to traverse the city and cool escape from melting avenues. Cotton is a common motif, from the mosaics of Pakhtakor( cotton workers), to the boll lamps of Uzbekistan; cupolas drip with gold leaf at Alisher Navoi, while Kosmonavtlar offers ceramic discs of cosmonauts floating in a spectral sea.
In the most countries people eat out for the pleasure of sampling better-than-everyday cuisine. In Uzbekistan, however , you will often be reminded that staying in is a safer culinary bet. You can now combine the two by visiting the home restaurants of Chagatai bazaar. Long renowned for exceptional shashlik, the bazaar air is pungent with grilled meat by 4am. A number of fresh dairy products are available to complete your breakfast. After 10 am the grillers return home and open their doors until 10 pm. Three blocks north of the Hotel Uzbekistan is Alaisky Bazaar, a cornucopia of fruit, vegetables, sheep innards and Lada parts. Spring and summer coat stalls with cherries, raspberries, figs and melons.
Yuzhny Airport (IATA: TAS, ICAO: UTTT), also known as Tashkent Yuzhny Airport, is the largest airport in Uzbekistan,... more travel advice
La fête de l'indépendance avec l'ex URSS donne lieu a de grandes festivités nationales. The feast of the independence... more travel advice
Klod5's Related Pages
Tashkent Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tashkent - full of life, color and so much charm"
- "A city rebuilt"
- "Capital of Uzbekistan"
- "A soviet-styled capital hiding some true charm"
- "Old world meets Russia"
- "Random pictures of Tashkent (1)"
- ""Stone Fortress": Uzbekistan's modern capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tashkent
- Hotels in Tashkent
- Transportation in Tashkent
- Nightlife in Tashkent
- Restaurants in Tashkent
- Shopping in Tashkent
- Warnings and Dangers in Tashkent
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tashkent
- 30 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Tashkent?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tashkent
Photos in TashkentSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toulouse Intro, 187 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 122 reviews, 195 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Novosibirsk Intro, 105 reviews, 153 photos, 5 travelogues
- Mauritius Intro, 83 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kiev Intro, 83 reviews, 117 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ukraine Intro, 78 reviews, 107 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Odessa Intro, 74 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cherkasy Intro, 66 reviews, 106 photos, 5 travelogues
- Verdun-sur-Meuse Intro, 32 reviews, 118 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 69 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Tashkent hotel reviews
- Le Meridien Tashkent Palace
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- InterContinental Tashkent
- 71 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 17, 2013
- Markaziy Hotel Tashkent
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Hotel Uzbekistan Tashkent
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Dedeman Silk Road Hotel
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Domina Shodlik Palace
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Elite Hotel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2011
- Orzu Tashkent Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 17, 2012