"Lønstrup Klint" Lønstrup by metteks
Lønstrup Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Rubjerg Knude is a part of Lønstrup Klint (Lønstrup Cliff). Rubjerg Knude is 74 meters high and a very steep cliff. Here the sand dunes are huge and the old light house is a victim of the sand drift, which especially in the old days destroyed many farms and even whole areas.
The lighthouse has over time been partly covered in sand, and only the roofs of the adjoined buildings are visible. They gave up fighting against the sand in the 1990´s.
It is not too easy to climb the sand dunes, but the views of the lighthouse, the sea and surrounding landscape is worth it.
The picture shows Rubjerg Knude seen from Mårup Church, 4 km away.
The sand dunes are huge. If you enlarge, you can see all the little people on top of it.
Mårup Kirke is located 4 km north of Rubjerg Knude.
Due to the ocean "eating" away the cliff it stands on, the church is now on the edge of the cliff.
Parts of the cemetary have already crashed down, and the church will eventually fall down as well. A local group of people are trying to save the church by minimizing the tear of the cliff. It is a hard battle though. They aren't only fighting against nature, they are also fighting against geologists, who wants the ocean to "eat" of parts of the cliff, as the layers formed by the ice in the ice ages becomes clearer this way.
metteks' Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Lønstrup
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Lønstrup?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lønstrup
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 31 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mindo Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Otavalo Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Cabo Polonio Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Lozenets Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Lyngby Sø Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Quito Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corn Island Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matera Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alberobello Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos