"Grotte di Castellana" Castellana Grotte by metteks
Castellana Grotte Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 7 photos
The limestone caves of Castellana are spectacular, they are like all limestone caves beautiful with all the stalactites and stalagmites, but it is truly great because the entrance cave has a big hole in the ”roof” that allows the daylight to enter. The rays of sunlight in this huge cave make it like standing in a church, with the glimmering in the church windows.
It is not allowed to take pictures on the caves since the town owns all the right to the photos, so this is the only picture I can post of the limestone formations.
The cave was discovered because a man wondered why the hole where all the locals dropped of their garbage never got full. So he went in and discovered a huge cave system, and years layer of garbage. The cave system is Italy’s longest natural subterranean network. It is possible to make a short trip: 1 km, 50 minutes or a long one: 3 km, 2 hours.
The grotte de Castellana website: http://www.grottedicastellana.it/it/index_ita.htm, only the italian versions is currently working
Ferrovie del Sud Est have a train line between Bari and Taranto, with several stops on the way, including Alberobello... more travel advice
metteks' Related Pages
Castellana Grotte Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Castellana Grotte
- Hotels in Castellana Grotte
- Transportation in Castellana Grotte
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Castellana Grotte
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Castellana Grotte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castellana Grotte
Top 10 Pages
- Copenhagen Intro, 31 reviews, 44 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mindo Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Otavalo Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Cabo Polonio Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Lozenets Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Lyngby Sø Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos
- Quito Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corn Island Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matera Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alberobello Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos