"Arrival" Quito by CaptainAmerica

Quito Travel Guide: 1,105 reviews and 3,079 photos

Quito - First step

I took my first steps in Ecuador in Quito, arriving from Paris via Madrid (quite a long and exhausting trip).
That was wonderful to discover such an amazing city being welcomed by one of my very best friends Maillekeul (have a look at his incredible Ecuador and other SouthAm's pages).

Quito, capital of Ecuador, is located 2850m (9350ft) above sea level. It stands as one of the most beautiful cities of South America (I cannot argue on these I do not that many...). It is located close to the equator line and has a good climate all year long.

The vistas in Quito are in incredible thanks to the mountains by which the city is surrounded, with some snowcapped volcanoes.

The colonial center is full of marvels quite well preserved.

Quito is a world cultural heritage site registered by UNESCO.

The new town has nothing marvelous to offer, but this is where offices, banks and airline offices are located. It however worth a visit if you need to withdraw money.

Do not miss the monastery of San Francisco, the cathedral, the Virgin of Quito (please see the tips and travelogues) but more than all just wander in the old city and discover it by yourself.

A museum gathering some of the paitings of a famous local painter is located close to the hotel Auberge Inn (between old and new city). Damned! I don't remember the name (ask Maillekeul) I did not visit because contrary to what was contemplated I did not see Quito again at the end of my trip.

I hope I'll go back to Quito.

• Last visit to Quito: Jan 2004