"Arrival" Quito by CaptainAmerica
Quito Travel Guide: 1,111 reviews and 3,068 photos
I took my first steps in Ecuador in Quito, arriving from Paris via Madrid (quite a long and exhausting trip).
That was wonderful to discover such an amazing city being welcomed by one of my very best friends Maillekeul (have a look at his incredible Ecuador and other SouthAm's pages).
Quito, capital of Ecuador, is located 2850m (9350ft) above sea level. It stands as one of the most beautiful cities of South America (I cannot argue on these I do not that many...). It is located close to the equator line and has a good climate all year long.
The vistas in Quito are in incredible thanks to the mountains by which the city is surrounded, with some snowcapped volcanoes.
The colonial center is full of marvels quite well preserved.
Quito is a world cultural heritage site registered by UNESCO.
The new town has nothing marvelous to offer, but this is where offices, banks and airline offices are located. It however worth a visit if you need to withdraw money.
Do not miss the monastery of San Francisco, the cathedral, the Virgin of Quito (please see the tips and travelogues) but more than all just wander in the old city and discover it by yourself.
A museum gathering some of the paitings of a famous local painter is located close to the hotel Auberge Inn (between old and new city). Damned! I don't remember the name (ask Maillekeul) I did not visit because contrary to what was contemplated I did not see Quito again at the end of my trip.
I hope I'll go back to Quito.
One of my favourite things in Quito is just wandering around the streets and discover a wonderful plaza, a gorgeous... more travel advice
Walking down (and up) the streets of Quito the first day after your arrival is sport, believe me, due to the altitude.... more travel advice
- Wait a little bit
- Just loose yourself in the Colonial...
- Meet other foreign travelers
- See All Cabs
Written May 9, 2016
Churches and monuments
Written May 9, 2016
CaptainAmerica's Related Pages
Quito Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quito - Capital of Ecuador"
- "b1bob does Quito big time"
- "A city among volcanoes"
- "Thinking of South American Cities? Think Quito"
- "¡Bienvenidos a Quito!"
- "Connected with nature at the middle of the earth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quito
- Hotels in Quito
- Transportation in Quito
- Nightlife in Quito
- Restaurants in Quito
- Shopping in Quito
- Warnings and Dangers in Quito
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Quito
- 14 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Quito?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quito
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 52 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Quito Intro, 14 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montañita Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Cuenca Intro, 8 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Riobamba Intro, 1 review, 26 photos, 3 travelogues
- Latacunga Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Puerto López Intro, 13 reviews, 10 photos
- Baños Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santa Elena Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Saquisilí Intro, 3 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue