"Paekakariki -- My hometown" Paekakariki by the_sadie

Paekakariki Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 14 photos

Paekakariki and Me

Although I spent my first five years in the UK, I was brought up on the Kapiti Coast, as were both my parents. In the case of my mother and I, the part of the Kapiti Coast was Paekakariki.

I moved into town (Wellington) when I went to university, and have been there ever since, but Paekakariki is still my hometown, and I visit as often as I can (not often enough, according to my parents!).

Coupla demographics

Paekakariki is a small town by the sea, 30 minutes drive (45 minutes on the commuter train) from NZ's capital city, Wellington. About 2000 people live there.

The sea is about 3 degrees (celsius) warmer than in Wellington, and there are better waves -- so I prefer swimming out here. When I was a kid I swum pretty much every day because my parents live right on the beach.

Stuff in Paekakariki: Steam Engine Museum, One Eye Art Gallery, Historical Museum in the Railway Station, QE Park (where the US Marines were stationed in WWII), campground, youth hostel, hotel, second hand bookshop, famous pub, cafe, 2 restaurants, 2 chip shops, surf club, art/craft shop ... and other stuff too!

Terminology ;-)

Paekakariki is Maori for Perch of the Green Parrot (Pae = Perch, Kakariki = Green, and also Green Parrot). We occasionally see these parrots up the hills, but the most common birds are probably seagulls!

We're getting more native birds like Tui and Bellbirds now though due to our proximity to Kapiti Island, a bird sanctuary which became rat-free in the 90s.

Locals often shorten Paekakariki to Pikok. Especially "Pikok Pub". This is not as acceptable as it once was as it's encouraged to try and use the proper Maori names for places (and to pronounce them correctly), given that Maori is NZ's official language, alongside English. I don't feel too bad using "Pikok" occasionally, as a local, but outsiders should probably try to steer clear of this. ;-)

"The Village" is the area where the shops are. So if someone says they'll meet you "in the village", that's where they mean. We say we're "going down the village" if we need to pop down to get a newspaper or some milk or suchlike.

"The Rocks" is the area of rockpools at the South end of the beach. "The Park" is the reserve (QE park) at the North end of the beach (we say "I'm going up the Park"). "The New Settlement" is the Northern, inland area of the town (having been built in the 50s!).

By the way, I'll try to get some pics for these pages soon!!! Please bear with me!

• Pros:Sea, sunsets, hills, rockpools, beaches ... etc!
  • Cons:Quite a few townies are moving there these days
  • In a nutshell:Gorgeous wee town. I love it!
  • Intro Updated Mar 5, 2003

• Nov 15, 2003 at 9:15 PM

Excellant page with nice phtographs...Lots of information...Really useful.Good job..Many many happy returns of the day. Wishing you a happy birthday.All the best for the future too.

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2003 at 10:09 PM

nice start, I look forward to seeing more on NZ as I plan to go there again later this year.

• Aurorae's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2003 at 11:40 AM

Great page with great info! I'd love to see more pics, as I find NZ to be one of the most beautiful countries in nature. My brother went there some yrs ago... Keep up the good work!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2003 at 4:36 PM

a great start with lots of infos ! These penguins are really cute !

• craic's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2003 at 11:09 PM

Homesick for NZ and looking for spots I used to know. Looks like Paekak has changed a bit (the fly by wire!!!) but I would probably still know it.

• genispp's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2003 at 1:36 PM

Beautiful page: good info and photos

• martin_nl's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2003 at 3:05 PM

Your parents have penguins living under their house?? WOW that is just great!!!!

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2003 at 2:23 PM

Great start to your hometown page!

the_sadie

“No deadlines!”

Badges & Stats in Paekakariki

Have you been to Paekakariki?

Latest Activity in Paekakariki