"What Can I Say About Madison County?" Madison by JourneyOf1

Madison Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 7 photos

Storm Season Is Here!

This month I can say we had lots of bad weather! Flooding, tornadoes, lightening storms and rain, rain, rain! Spring and fall are our severe weather seasons, make sure you stay alert if you happen to be in the area then. I am a volunteer weather watcher for a local news channel so often I am out in it, that's where these photos came from. See more under warnings!

Well I have to say something don't I, as I don't have any pictures of it because I never thought to take any besides the usual family photographs while hanging out by the pool.

Its in northeast Alabama and located about a 80 miles from Birmingham and probably 15 or so from Huntsville. For a long time it was just a "suburb" of Huntsville, until there was a big push a few years ago to make it a town in its own right. Years ago it was just a scattering of cotton farmers, lonely stretches of back country roads, and the place where it was easier to place an airport so that the majority of people living in Huntsville wouldn't have to hear the noise. We get to hear the noise, but its a nice place and there are lots of improvements going on.

A new multi-plex sports facilities to surpass those in Huntsville are in the works, as well as plans for all kinds of new buildings, restaurants, businesses, and work places. I don't know if it will happen but a lot of people are hoping for it. The best best/worst thing Madison is known for is its police department and their radar guns. I think this is the speeding ticket giving capital of Alabama. You go 5 over the limit...they don't take any excuses--you get a ticket!! I know personally :-/

What else about it? Well, its a place most people don't visit just because they wish to take a trip. Most come to work at the larger corporations like Intergraph and Target, or simply are passing through. I guess that's why there are so many grillhouses and convenience stores off every exit stop.

• Pros:Not so very far away from more interesting places.
  • Cons:It's not a bad place to live, but it's not terribly exciting.
  • Last visit to Madison: May 2003
  • Intro Updated May 18, 2003

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 3:26 AM

Your coverage if the flooding in Madison was great. Incredible to see such a disaster.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2006 at 10:39 AM

Enjoyed your weather warnings about Madison's floods. Incredible step-by-step information that could some day be helpful for all of us.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2006 at 12:57 AM

I like these odes to small places that people don't know about!

• butterfly_girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2005 at 9:21 AM

Wow...amazing flood photos...watch out!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 6:52 PM

good job..being a volunteer! the floods reminded me of the movie, 'The Bridges of Madison County', where on the end the rain came down, cats and dogs

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2004 at 10:00 AM

Hi Yvette, What a great volunteer weather reporter you are! Great shots. You are a brave woman! ~Elaine~

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2004 at 9:11 AM

I have the upmost respect for mother nature. The ocean, rivers, streams, and lakes are a force to be reckon with. Great tips!!!!

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2004 at 10:56 AM

We complain in England about the rain but thankfully we dont get it quite as bad as this in the north of the UK

• Dimi1's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2004 at 2:36 AM

...not bad! ...a place on earth full of dangers!!!...thanks a lot for all your warnings!!! ;o)))

• chancay's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2004 at 3:06 AM

uh, scaring ...a page with almost only warnings..;-) glad you wrote some good things about it as well ;-))

JourneyOf1

“When all the house is still and dark/I shall steal down and find my ship by the dim quayside and embark..”

Badges & Stats in Madison

Have you been to Madison?