"Ancestral Home of the Four Tribes" Top 5 Page for this destination Alabama by JourneyOf1

Alabama Travel Guide: 1,752 reviews and 4,460 photos

My Thoughts On Alabama

I believe an individual's perception of Alabama varies, based on their intentions, beliefs, upbringing as well as a myriad other pieces of minutia.

I believe, in turn, one's ideas and feelings about Alabama can be determined based on whether you are visiting on business or vacation, or whether you are looking to move there. For a tourist view of Alabama, visit this site, the prequisite pretty pics, glowing words, and hype about a location. Tour Alabama

To visit Alabama, there are many historical sites and monuments especially if you are interested in Civil War memoribilia or Native American history, as well as modern military histories. You have university towns, resorts along the coast, progressive cities, and places with citizens whose thinking and lifestyle is still in the not too distant past.

For general information about employment, real estate, policies and views of Alabama, visit this website simply titled Alabama.

A Brief Overview of the More Well-Known CIties

Huntsville (a mid-size city) and Madison County is home to the world-reknowned NASA Space Flight center and Space Camp, and somewhat of a mecca for aerospace engineers, those seeking astronaut training, and builders upon various space crafts. Nearby is Redstone Arsenal, a military installation that is home to thousands and virtually a city in itself.

Birmingham (a larger, sprawling city) is rather the place to be for university goers seeking medical degrees, younger professionals, and musicians, artists, and quite a number of celebrities. You will see the typical urban range of inner city slums while a few miles away you will find high-price condos and multi-million dollar homes.

Montgomery is the capital, yet rather sleepy, missable in my opinion. I've never directly visited there, but passed through on my ways to other states and cities. You don't hear people reference as a get-away weekend spot like Birmingham or Gulf Shores.

Mobile is special, a former French colony, most people are surprised to learn that it was this city that introduced Mardi Gras to the US, and not New Orleans. Their annual celebration is as vigorous and rowdy as Naw'leans but not as well known.

The top 18 cities in Alabama are:

Anniston, Auburn, Bessemer, Birmingham, Decatur, Dothan, Florence, Gadsden, Gulf Shores, Huntsville, Mobile, Montgomery,Opelika, Phenix City, Prattville, Prichard, Selma, and Tuscaloosa.

A Lively Elder

This is an elder, Levi Walker from Macon, GA come to dance at the 1st Annual Native American Pow-wow at Redstone Arsenal. He, too is a master storyteller from his tribe, the Osage. Quite the character!

His regalia is patterned after his 17th century ancestors, many of the items passed down generation after generation. Another of his claims to fame, he was the real mascot of the pennant winning Atlanta Braves in 1969. How did he get the job? He animatedly told the story very simply:

"I went to my first Braves games and saw that the mascot was a white man dressed up like an Indian. I said, to myself, 'If they are gonna call him brave, then he needs to be a real Indian." So I called up the manager and told him what I thought. One week later he called me back, and I got the job. They won the pennant that year. I guess I was lucky for them!"

Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw, & Creek

You will find my pages are directed more towards Native American life, history and events, which is primarily what interests me when I am in Alabama. When I am there I assist in teaching Native American dance and drum classe, and attend all the celebrations, pow-wows and festivals I can or am invited to dance or drum at. When I am in Berlin, I am a consultant for Native American beliefs, rituals and lifestyles to a local groups and individuals.

The photo is of Grey Hawk Perkins, master storyteller from the Houma Tribe from Mississippi at the Native American Festival at Burritt-on-the-Mountain in Alabama.

• Pros:Rural isn't always a bad thing, there is more development, more intercultural progression in certain areas, lots of pleasant nature and there are beaches!
  • Cons:Some attitudes and ideas of the people are still in the distant past....
  • Last visit to Alabama: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 12, 2012

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2006 at 6:00 AM

Very imformative Yvette!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2006 at 10:19 AM

Excellent page, Yvette! A unique take on Alabama. BTW, I was in Montgomery on business last month. I agree with your assessment. Cheers, Mark

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2006 at 3:44 PM

Nice info on "Bama" - greetz from Belgium.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2005 at 3:52 PM

Alabama and Germany what a combo! But only a Huntsvillian (or ex like me) would know that it makes perfect sense!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2004 at 11:33 AM

Great going, Yvette! Excellent updates on these pages since I visited them last. I just got back from Alabama a few days ago and have put up a few pages myself - although quite different from yours.

• Elena_007's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2004 at 9:05 AM

Hi Yvette. Wonderful pages, a delightful, informative read. Your insider view could not be more true. Well said.(My son is living in Alabama) I am fascinated with NA way of life, although I am only part Indian (in my heart) Storytime is the best! ~Elaine~

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2004 at 6:58 PM

Hi Yvette! Wow! Your love and knowledge of Native American Indians is so impressive and truly deserving to be shared. It is both a proud and sad history and much credit to you for keeping the heritage alive and living! Best Wishes from North Carolina! ;-)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2004 at 9:09 AM

Native cultures are important for everyone to learn about. Very nice page. I enjoyed it!! Thanks!!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2004 at 9:16 AM

that is really nice photos yvette. lets have more of that. greetings from the black sea coast.

JourneyOf1

“When all the house is still and dark/I shall steal down and find my ship by the dim quayside and embark..”

Badges & Stats in Alabama

Have you been to Alabama?

Latest Activity in Alabama