"A Brief Excursion In London" London by JourneyOf1

London Travel Guide: 23,495 reviews and 49,601 photos

I Can Only Smile Remembering My 12 Hour Layover...

...but the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of London is: I HATE London. But only because I felt extremely lost, confused, and tired the majority of the time I was there. As you see it was only for a 12 hour layover. Like many, I flew into Gatwick from the US, then needed to cross the city to make my next flight leaving from Heathrow. With large (terribly heavy) suitcases as I was moving back to Germany, I had to make my way across the city using the train system, and unfortunately not many lifts at the stations. Eternal thanks to one kind-hearted man who volunteered to help me carry them up two flights of stairs only to discover I needed to go the other direction after all!

I had great help and support from three persons from VT who came out for a brief meeting with me at London Bridge, then on to the Anchor, a famous old restaurant along the Thames. It was a brief respite from my journey, but so very welcome! I was able to sample some lovely English cooking (no, it's not bad like some people claim, but then I had never believed so in the first place). A carvery can be a wonderful thing when one has had nothing to eat since the skimpy fare aboard one's flight: thick slices of roast beef, parsnips, potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, mint sauce, horseradish, green beans, as high as you can pile it and walk away.

I won't be making tips on this page, because honestly, I was not there long enough nor really knew where I was or going to try to give detailed information to other travelers, but I will make a travelogue with photos and observations, please have a look if you've the interest.

• Pros:A number of friendly VTers, lots of famous people living here to try to catch a glimpse of. My views are limited because of my short stay, so I don't know as much as others about this famous city.
  • Cons:Needs more lifts at stations to accommodate handicapped travelers, or those with luggage.
  • In a nutshell:I would have to give it another chance when I have more time to explore, but for now, I would return only to see friends, not for the trip itself just to be there.
  • Last visit to London: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 10, 2006

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 4:33 AM

Hi Yvette, hope you'll have a safe trip and a smooth transit this time! Off to Western Germany for a few days now...

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2006 at 9:49 AM

Sounds like you had an intersting time in London. You must come back and I'll show you the brilliant side of a wonderful city.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 8:33 AM

I do hope you get to visit London again with a lot less stress! Thanks for your note on my HP

• jo104's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2006 at 7:35 AM

Will take you up on your offer & isit Berlin soon - how is your new place?

JourneyOf1

“When all the house is still and dark/I shall steal down and find my ship by the dim quayside and embark..”

Badges & Stats in London