"A Brief Excursion In London" London by JourneyOf1
London Travel Guide: 24,912 reviews and 55,370 photos
...but the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of London is: I HATE London. But only because I felt extremely lost, confused, and tired the majority of the time I was there. As you see it was only for a 12 hour layover. Like many, I flew into Gatwick from the US, then needed to cross the city to make my next flight leaving from Heathrow. With large (terribly heavy) suitcases as I was moving back to Germany, I had to make my way across the city using the train system, and unfortunately not many lifts at the stations. Eternal thanks to one kind-hearted man who volunteered to help me carry them up two flights of stairs only to discover I needed to go the other direction after all!
I had great help and support from three persons from VT who came out for a brief meeting with me at London Bridge, then on to the Anchor, a famous old restaurant along the Thames. It was a brief respite from my journey, but so very welcome! I was able to sample some lovely English cooking (no, it's not bad like some people claim, but then I had never believed so in the first place). A carvery can be a wonderful thing when one has had nothing to eat since the skimpy fare aboard one's flight: thick slices of roast beef, parsnips, potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, mint sauce, horseradish, green beans, as high as you can pile it and walk away.
I won't be making tips on this page, because honestly, I was not there long enough nor really knew where I was or going to try to give detailed information to other travelers, but I will make a travelogue with photos and observations, please have a look if you've the interest.
- Pros:A number of friendly VTers, lots of famous people living here to try to catch a glimpse of. My views are limited because of my short stay, so I don't know as much as others about this famous city.
- Cons:Needs more lifts at stations to accommodate handicapped travelers, or those with luggage.
- In a nutshell:I would have to give it another chance when I have more time to explore, but for now, I would return only to see friends, not for the trip itself just to be there.
JourneyOf1's Related Pages
London Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Current Home"
- "Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...."
- "Gor Blimey guv'ner...you'r having a larf......"
- "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner ..."
- "London, the capital of England"
- "When a man tires of London, he is tired of life"
- See All...
- Things to Do in London
- Hotels in London
- Transportation in London
- Nightlife in London
- Restaurants in London
- Shopping in London
- Warnings and Dangers in London
- See All...
Badges & Stats in London
- 0 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to London?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in London
Photos in LondonSee All Photos (9)
Top 5 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 45 reviews, 81 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alabama Intro, 13 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bad Saarow-Pieskow Intro, 4 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bernau Intro, 4 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Huntsville Intro, 21 photos, 3 travelogues