"An Island getaway in Ontario?" Picton by airkarat
Picton Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 115 photos
On the north shore of Lake Ontario between Toronto and Montreal, Prince Edward County is a traingular 'island' - still largely rural, but with quaint villages for shopping and with the white sands and sand dunes of the Sandbanks Provincial Park.
We have been to PEC and Picton, its central city, twice in 2004 - once to a bed and breakfast in the early spring, and again for camping near Sandbanks in August.
When searching for tourist information, search for 'Prince Edward County' (not Prince Edward Island which would be a smidgen further ;)
PEC is a great getaway for a family with school-aged kids. We stayed at a B&B with a sheep farm, but there are other places to see animals, including an emu farm and an exotic animal farm.
University students from nearby Kingston and Belleville come here often, and the Sandbanks park is booked solid by late spring. Quieter campgrounds, spas, country inns, cater to families with young children or to seniors.
Of course the sand dunes could occupy children for days, with the digging of foxholes and the turf wars that ensue.
Plenty of history here - this is where Lake Ontario narrows into the St. Lawrence River, and on the other side of the river is the USA - so plenty of history here with the Loyalists resettling here after the American War of Independence.
There is a maritime museum here, and one outfit that offers scuba diving for shipwrecks.
Nearby is Kingston, Ontario and the 1000 Islands. To get there faster you can take a free ferry across Adophus Strait.
Canadian Forces Base Trenton is always busy with military aircraft and search and rescue operations being based there.
- Pros:Appeals to every age group, whether looking to relax or for fun.
- Cons:A bit too far from the highway for a one-night stopover.
- In a nutshell:Good weekend getaway as alternative to 'up north'
I don't know how she does it - a highly creative hostess, Linda has redecorated her 1840's era farmhouse along a... more travel advice
airkarat's Related Pages
Picton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Prince Edward County"
- "Picton, seat of 'The County'"
- "So much Wine, So Little time"
- "Wine country by the Sandbanks"
- "An Island getaway in Ontario?"
- "Cheese & Wines closer to home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Picton
- Hotels in Picton
- Transportation in Picton
- Nightlife in Picton
- Restaurants in Picton
- Shopping in Picton
- Warnings and Dangers in Picton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Picton
- 3 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Picton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Picton
Top 10 Pages
- Bermuda Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Yemassee Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Stavanger Intro, 1 review, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Picton Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Saint Catharines 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Orangeville Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Owen Sound Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Stonington 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Midland 2 reviews, 2 photos