"First trip to Holland - Family Reunion" Netherlands by airkarat
Netherlands Travel Guide: 32,476 reviews and 86,677 photos
Flew Toronto to Amsterdam for two weeks in late September 2002 to participate in a family reunion. The last few days were spent in Belgium (Ypres) and southern UK, travelling by Chunnel.
Two weeks! Too fast!
It was September 11, exactly a year after the terrorist attacks in New York City. We watched some coverage on CNN at Terwispel, and as the aunts and uncles were still sleeping off their jetlag, Scott and I decided to go to Harlingen - a seaside town - for the afternoon. En route to Leeuwarden, just north of Akkrum, is the Mid-Frijslan Akwadukt. We took a service road along the highway to get a good picture and some video footage. The fields in Holland are below sea-level, yet water traffic is very important for the transportation of goods throughout Holland. The canals are therefore at sea level. In this picture you can see the four-lane highway running under the canal (akwadukt being the 'bridge' holding the canal) ! You can see a barge on the right coming toward us. The other bridge that crosses the canal is for the commuter trains that run between Amsterdam and Groningen. Cars are expensive to own and operate so most people take trains. A tall-masted boat is approaching so the train bridge has twisted lengthwise to allow the boat to pass.
The 30km dam from Wieringen to the coast of Friesland was built between 1927 and 1933 using traditional methods with the technology of fifty ears ago. It closed off the inland Zuyder Sea from the Wadden Sea (North Sea), preventing flooding and allowing miles of land to be reclaimed as arable land. The Zuyder Sea is now freshwater and the Wadden Sea remains salt water. This picture is amalgamated from two views from the observation tower. Tilt your head right and you are facing south-bound toward the province of Noord-Holland where Dad was born. The saltwater North Sea is on the right side. Tilt your head left and you are facing North-bound toward Friesland.
- Pros:History... Tidy .... Modern
- Cons:Brief sidewinders into remote towns take forever
- In a nutshell:Don't rely on your parent's memories - go see for yourself!
In Zaandam, Noord Holland, outside of Amsterdam, is a 'historical village' showing what typical life was like in the... more travel advice
My mother's family is from Friesland and, and was often teased about it, as if somehow this province has been derided as... more travel advice
airkarat's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
- Posted in Travel Huntingdon Forum "Recommendation for a good hair..."
- Commented on one of ATLC's Netherlands travel pages
- Wrote a Review Zaandam windmill village in Netherlands Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Zaandam windmill village"
- updated a Netherlands Travel Page "First trip to Holland - Family Reunion"
Top 10 Pages
- Bermuda Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Netherlands Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- Yemassee Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Stavanger Intro, 1 review, 5 photos, 1 travelogue
- Picton Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Saint Catharines 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Orangeville Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Owen Sound Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Stonington 3 reviews, 2 photos
- Midland 2 reviews, 2 photos
Top Netherlands hotels
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10124 Reviews - 21103 Photos
- Valkenburg Hotels
- 240 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Rotterdam Hotels
- 1423 Reviews - 3803 Photos
- Maastricht Hotels
- 1266 Reviews - 3255 Photos
- Leiden Hotels
- 611 Reviews - 1423 Photos
- Utrecht Hotels
- 632 Reviews - 1496 Photos
- Groningen Hotels
- 433 Reviews - 1074 Photos
- The Hague Hotels
- 1244 Reviews - 2876 Photos
- Breda Hotels
- 437 Reviews - 1131 Photos
- Eindhoven Hotels
- 330 Reviews - 972 Photos
- Noordwijk aan Zee Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 217 Photos
- Putten Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Apeldoorn Hotels
- 248 Reviews - 1031 Photos
- Arnhem Hotels
- 380 Reviews - 1180 Photos
- Amersfoort Hotels
- 175 Reviews - 332 Photos