"Trip to Belize 2002" Top 5 Page for this destination Belize by ksdhood

Belize Travel Guide: 2,591 reviews and 5,512 photos

Hopkins: Village on the Coast

When I landed in Belize City, I immediately hopped on a bus and headed West (to San Ignacio). After a few days, I headed back East, then South -- and stopped in Hopkins for a couple of days. Wow! Hopkins is a nice, lazy, Garifuna village -- quite different from the Mayan villages -- with which I am most familiar. I found myself just walking (very slowly!) around this sleepy town -- soaking up the heat, the smells, the friendly exchanges. This town is definitely worth a stop on your way down South!

• Pros:I was able to see a good part of the Country in a short period of time!
  • Cons:Traveling alone as a single female felt uncomfortable in a few places -- mostly in the two bigger cities.
  • In a nutshell:Belize burned a special place in my heart!
  • Last visit to Belize: Mar 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2006

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2006 at 8:23 AM

Excellent page on Belize, you really know how to 'properly' travel ! It is great fun to visit the many parts of this amazing country and to meet the friendly locals. However, I know what you mean about Dangriga and I had similar feelings in Belize City.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 2:39 PM

Great tips on Belize! Really hard to find stuff. You've saved me a lot of work. Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 3:07 AM

Beautifull pages! Happy birthday,Kim, enjoy it. Jean-Pierre from Belgium.

• May 25, 2005 at 11:23 PM

I went on the Barton Creek tour with Dave also. He was great. Lunch at the Barton Creek Outpost is great too. The food was fantastic. It was neat to see the Amish country along the way.

• Mar 4, 2005 at 9:22 PM

jesus i am going to stay in davids jungle cabanas in the ruins just curious howd you go about finding this stuff?

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2004 at 2:48 PM

Great Belize pages, I have filled my Travel Guide with many of your tips. thanks!

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2004 at 4:22 PM

Great job showing what a wide variety of things there are to experience in Belize!

• jdparis's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2004 at 8:57 AM

Nice page and pictures. I had not enough time to visit the inland of Belize and your page make me eager to go back and check...

• btex's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2004 at 9:35 AM

good tips. canoeing Barton Creek Cave and the Macal sounds great. slow down, baby is a good motto. happy b-day!

• wilde13's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2004 at 7:35 AM

Friends of mine said, Belize is one of the best spots in caribic. So, enjoy your Birthday and i am waiting for more pics. Bye

ksdhood

“If you travel like a tourist, you will miss most of what your destination has to offer.”

Badges & Stats in Belize