"Love that Dirty Water" Boston by mrdarius

Boston Travel Guide: 3,886 reviews and 8,419 photos

I lived in Boston for 5 years now (Boston University for 4 plus one to work a crappy job before moving somehwere else). My favorite thing to do in Boston was to go on adventures with my gf Ellen. Last year we went someplace new every week on Thursdays. From Cambridge to the South End, from Ethiopian to Spanish. Good times.

Here's a nicer picture of Boston from across the Charles River. I attribute the unfocused look to pollution. It's kinda sick. I consider myself more of a city person who escapes to the country rather than vice versa, but the one thing that always gets to me in ANY city is exhaust fumes.

My favorite things about Boston are its size and character. Not as huge and crazy as New York. Boston is very historic, filled with students, and many card-carrying Sox fans. People are very opinionated yet kind and courteous (think Brian from Average Joe 2).

Maybe I'm trying to really drive the point home here, but, DO NOT SWIM IN THE CHARLES!! There are actually signs around the river that warn you not to swim in it...let's hope it changes by 2060!!

• Pros:One of the oldest cities in the USA, lots of historic stuff to see
  • Cons:Political mess, lot's of taxes for mamoth construction projects
  • In a nutshell:Just Pahk Yah Cah in Hahvudd Yahd
  • Intro Updated Apr 25, 2004

• Sematay's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I think Newton off of Washington Street is the best option for viewing. Off street parking, and plenty of empty lawn space to throw down a blanket and have a picnic.

• KYliesYoga's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 5:21 PM

I just read your tip about boston on the duck tours. Seriously. what the heck is up with those? I mean. seriously. I don't think you could PAY me to take one, lol!

• moiraistyx's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 5:07 PM

Hello fellow BU alumnus, I agree about the BU buildings being ugly, but if it hadn't been for BU I wouldn't have fallen in love with this great city.

• amapola66's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2005 at 5:57 PM

Hey mrdarius - I know that bar from when I lived in MA :-) They also do a great cocktail.

• diver-x's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2003 at 5:12 PM

They say you can swim the Charles north of Watertown now. However, I did get a rash after getting soaked while sailing one day last year...

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2003 at 11:12 AM

Great page on a great city! Excellent restaurant list!

• heywinks's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2003 at 2:03 AM

Excellent restaurant recommendations! The choices sound scrumptous! :)

• dracko's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2003 at 10:52 AM

Hey, I know that fish! Hehe. You're the 4th person to mention that Ethiopian place! My friends keep telling me about it. Must go one of these days. Great tips, btw!

• jessicadf's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2003 at 8:10 AM

Ewwww. Swimming in the Charles. Ewwww. The duelling pianos sounds like a blast! Okay, I'm coming for a visit.

• scrooge1947's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2003 at 12:42 PM

HEres your challenge more photos and running the Boston Marathon,(well just an idea)

mrdarius