"Amasya" Amasya Ili by amesian
Amasya Ili Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 524 photos
Amasya is one of the provinces in Central Anatolia of Turkey which is distinct both with its natural setup and historical values it holds. It was the homeland of the famous geographer Strabo. Located in a narrow cleft of the Yesilirmak (Iris) river, it has a past of 7500 years during which many civilizations left priceless remains of their times.
The ruins of the citadel on the rock face of the cleft shelters 2000 year old water-channels, 1000 year old bridges, a mental hospital, an Ottoman Palace and a secret underground passageway. On the rock faces there are impressive rock tombs of the Pontus kings, which contribute very much to the attractiveness of the city. At night, when they are illuminated, the view is unforgettable.
The city also has many historically and architecturally precious buildings; the Ferhat water channel, the 13th century Seljuk Burmali Mosque, the 15th century sultan Beyazit Mosque and Complex; the 14th century Ilhanli Bimarhane Mental Hospital with lovely relieves around its portal, the extraordinary octagonal Kapi Aga Medrese (theological school), the Torumtay Mausoleum and the Gök Medrese. There are traditional Turkish mansions which have been well-preserved showing the best examples of Turkish architecture. The 19th century Hazeranlar Mansion has been restored perfectly and now it is of great interest with an art gallery on its first floor and an ethnographical museum on the second. The Archaeological Museum of Amasya has an interesting collection including the mummies of the Ilhanli rulers of Amasya.
As for natural beauty, Amasya is set apart from the rest of Anatolia in its tight mountain valley and hides its own secret beauty. Lake Borabay (65 kms northeast of Amasya) is a crater lake with an amazing view and fresh air. It is a perfect area for fishing (especially trout), for picnicking and for being alone with nature and doing some sports. Yedikir Dam Lake and Omarca National Park are other excursion sites. Terzikoy spa center, a thermal resort, is also worth a visit.
Amasya is very safe place to travel. The crime rate is fairly low and there has not been any crime committed against... more travel advice
Before you leave Amasya dont forget to buy a souvenir for your friends,relatives or for yourselves. The places to buy... more travel advice
- See All Amasya Culture and Art...
- See All Hittite God Statue
- See All Romeo and Juliet of Anatolia
amesian's Related Pages
Amasya Ili Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Amasya Ili
- Hotels in Amasya Ili
- Transportation in Amasya Ili
- Nightlife in Amasya Ili
- Restaurants in Amasya Ili
- Shopping in Amasya Ili
- Warnings and Dangers in Amasya Ili
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amasya Ili
- 28 Reviews
- 147 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Amasya Ili?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amasya Ili
Top 10 Pages
- Amasya Ili Intro, 28 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goreme Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amasya Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antalya Ili Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympos Intro, 7 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ankara Ili Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Marmaris Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues