"OLYMPOS" Top 5 Page for this destination Olympos by amesian
Olympos Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 354 photos
Though a very ancient city nearby Antalya, in the Mediterranean coast of Anatolia, the early history of Olympus is shrouded in mystery. We know it was an important Lycian city by the 2nd century B.C., and that the Olympians worshipped Hephaestos (Vulcan), the god of fire. No doubt this veneration sprang from reverence for the mysterious Chimeira, an eternal flame which still springs from the earth not far from the city. The town declined in the 1st century B.C. until the arrival of the Romans in the 2nd century A.D. In the 3rd century pirate attacks brought impoverishment. In the Middle Ages, Venetians, Genoese and Rhodians built fortresses along the coast, but, by the 15th century Olympus had been abandoned.
Today the site is fascinating, not just for its ruins that are fragmentary and widely scattered amidst the thick greenery of wild grapevines, flowering oleander, bay trees, wild figs and pines, but for its site, just inland from a beautiful beach along the course of a stream which runs through a rocky gorge.
Chimera is situated 8kms from Olympos. Scientists are as mystified as the people of ancient times as to how fire... more travel advice
When i was in Olympos i stayed at Turkmen Tree Houses.I chose this place because it was closer to the beach than the... more travel advice
amesian's Related Pages
Olympos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ruins Eaten By Forest"
- "CIRALI - FAMILY FUN ON THE MED"
- "Mike's Olympos Page"
- "Olympos - the perfect place to chill"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Olympos
- Hotels in Olympos
- Transportation in Olympos
- Nightlife in Olympos
- Restaurants in Olympos
- Shopping in Olympos
- Warnings and Dangers in Olympos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Olympos
- 7 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Olympos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Olympos
Photos in OlymposSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Amasya Ili Intro, 28 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goreme Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amasya Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antalya Ili Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympos Intro, 7 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ankara Ili Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Marmaris Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues