"Safranbolu" Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu by amesian
Safranbolu Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 314 photos
Safranbolu which is famous with its historical houses is established by an Ion Princess. The city and its surroundings has seen many civilizations like Roman, Byzantine, Seljukians and Ottoman. Safranbolu was an important roadhouse on the Kastamonu-Gerede-Istanbul part of the silk road.
Safranbolu was included in the "List of World Inheritance" bu UNESCO in 1994 and became a world city because of its success in protecting its natural heritage. Safranbolu has 1008 traces that are being protected in the natural tissue as an expression of the historical and cultural wealth. Rock Graves, mounds, Cinci Ýnn and Turkish Bath, Köprülü Mehmet Pacha Mosque, İzzet Mehmet Paşa Mosque, Yemeniciler Arastası, İncekaya Water Vault, Houses, Fountains and Tombs are some of the traces that has survived.
Safranbolu has won its first fame with its houses that have a traditional and special architecture. These houses are wonderful architecture samples that shows Turkish society life of 18th and 19th centuries. These splendid houses which carry the effects of crowded family structure, economic wealth and local climate properties are defined as "Five sided architecture" because of their roofs.
Safranbolu houses are buildings with 2-3 floors, 6-8 rooms, balconies, lots of windows in every room. In these buildings; esthetical use of stone, unbelievable quality of wood work, ornaments of wall and ceilings, pools inside the houses, stairs and door knockers...
All of them are magnificent.
In house settlement neighborhood was the most important thing people care. Narrow streets with Albanian pavement made people closer.
Safranbolu has very interesting natural beauties besides its historical dimension and houses. Saffron plant which can paint a liquid of 10 times heavier to yellow and gave its name to the city; grows in safranbolu and is very important for the city. The other famous crop of Safranbolu is Çavuş Grape. Safranbolu is besides known with its delight.
By introducing Safranbolu increasing interest develops tourism here. Today Safranbolu is an interest focus of cultural tourism.
MUSEUM HOUSES Many of the oldest houses have been made into museums by cultural departments, and most have attractive... more travel advice
Yörük Village Yoruk Koyu, 11km east of Safranbolu, is a village of old houses and the feel of an open-air museum. The... more travel advice
amesian's Related Pages
Safranbolu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ottoman hosts or ghosts?"
- "exceptional entirety of old ottoman houses"
- "Safranbolu - Well-Preserved Ottoman Town"
- "The Enchanting Town of Safranbolu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Safranbolu
- Hotels in Safranbolu
- Transportation in Safranbolu
- Nightlife in Safranbolu
- Restaurants in Safranbolu
- Shopping in Safranbolu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Safranbolu
- 7 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Safranbolu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Safranbolu
Photos in SafranboluSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Amasya Ili Intro, 28 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goreme Intro, 8 reviews, 41 photos, 4 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Amasya Intro, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antalya Ili Intro, 6 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Olympos Intro, 7 reviews, 30 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ankara Ili Intro, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Marmaris Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues