"WHITE TOWN" Top 5 Page for this destination Belgrade by Jeca011
Belgrade Travel Guide: 2,312 reviews and 4,757 photos
Belgrade, a city of very tumultuous history, is one of the oldest cities in Europe. Its history lasts full 7,000 years.
In c. 600 B.C. the Thracian-Cimmerian and Scythian tribes moved across this area, while the Celtic tribes crossed this territory in the III century B.C. The founding of Singidunum is attributed to the Celtic tribe, the Scordiscs. As a fortified settlement, Singidunum was mentioned for the first time in 279 B.C. The first part of the word - Singi - means "round" and dunum means "fortress" or "town". The Romans conquered Belgrade in the beginning of the I century A.D. and it has been under their rule for full four centuries. Singidunum was most prosperous in 86 A.D., when the IV Legion of Flavius arrived. The first stone fortress in Upper Town was constructed then. Its fragments can be noticed even today.
"The sky above Belgrade is wide and high, unstable but always beautiful. Always beautiful and rich, as a compensation to this strange town for everything that isn't there, and a consolation because of everything that shouldn't be there.
But the greatest splendour of that sky above Belgrade, that are the sunsets. In autumn and in summer, they are broad and bright like desert mirages, and in winter they are smothered by murky clouds and dark red hazes. And in every time of year frequently come the days when the flame of that sun setting in the plain, between the rivers beneath Belgrade, gets reflected way up in the high celestial dome, and it breaks there and pours down over the scattered town. Then, for a moment, the reddish tint of the sun paints even the remotest corners of Belgrade and reflects into the windows, even of those houses it otherwise poorly illuminates."
Ivo Andric, Nobel prize laureate
WELCOME TO BEOGRAD
- In a nutshell:Once you come you will wish to stay forever
Building a new tower On December 21, 2006 the construction of a new Avala Tower commenced. The symbol of Belgrade... more travel advice
Hotel “Moskva” is oldest hotel in Belgrade and it’s under state protection. It was built in 1906 at Terazije square.... more travel advice
- Belgrade climate
- See All Octoberfest in Belgrade?!?
- Live music
- Beware of...
Jeca011's Related Pages
Belgrade Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belgrade, sweet Belgrade"
- "WHITE TOWN"
- "B E L G R A D E"
- "My home town"
- " The White City"
- "Welcome to Beograd-Capital of Serbia & Montenegro!"
- "48 Hours in the White City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belgrade
- Hotels in Belgrade
- Transportation in Belgrade
- Nightlife in Belgrade
- Restaurants in Belgrade
- Shopping in Belgrade
- Warnings and Dangers in Belgrade
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belgrade
- 102 Reviews
- 106 Photos
- 41 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Belgrade?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belgrade
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgrade Intro, 102 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Former Republic of Serbia and Montenegro Intro, 48 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Zemun Intro, 51 reviews, 54 photos
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 41 reviews, 39 photos
- Becej Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Verona Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budva Intro, 28 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topola Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Arandjelovac Intro, 23 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues