"Old capital of Montenegro" Cetinje by Jeca011
Cetinje Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 122 photos
Cetinje is the old capital of Montenegro, located at the foot of Mount Lovcen. Cetinje began to grow around 1482 when Ivan Crnojevic, a ruler of the Crnojevic dynasty, moved under Turkish advance from the southern town of Zabljak on Skadar Lake and named Cetinje his new capital. The name Cetinje derives from the tiny river Cetina that used to flow through the valley and vanish underground at its lower end.
Cetinje is much more than a capital city to Montenegrins. Cetinje and Mount Lovcen are symbols of the Montenegrin nation and state created in the centuries-old struggle for independence, and freedom. They are also symbols of the highlanders ethic of honesty, courage and loyalty to their country. Cetinje was the seat of the Montenegrin Orthodox Church and the center of the organized resistance against the Turks.
Cetinje began to grow rapidly in the 19th century when Montenegro secured international recognition of its independence.
Cetinje reached its zenith under Nikola I Petrovic who ruled from 1860 until 1918. Under Nikola I Cetinje flourished. The development was particularly notable after 1878, when Montenegro was officially recognized as an independent state at the Berlin Congress. Cetinje was the smallest European capital, but had many foreign embassies, a palace, hospital, theater, girls institute, schools, museum, and archives. After World War II Podgorica become capital.
In 1993 government of the Republic of Montenegro moved certain government functions from the capital Podgorica to Cetinje. This time Cetinje become twin capital with Podgorica.
- In a nutshell:Symbols of Montenegro
The Artistic Museum of Montenegro was established in 1950, originally as the Artistic Gallery of Montenegro. It is... more travel advice
In 1903 a building of the Russian consulate was built according to the project of Italian architect Corradini. This... more travel advice
Jeca011's Related Pages
Cetinje Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old capital of Montenegro"
- "mount lovcen"
- "Old and new capital of Montenegro"
- "Royal visit to royal city"
- "My photos of Cetinje 1."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cetinje
- Transportation in Cetinje
- Restaurants in Cetinje
- Warnings and Dangers in Cetinje
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cetinje
- 20 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cetinje?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cetinje
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belgrade Intro, 102 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Former Republic of Serbia and Montenegro Intro, 48 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Zemun Intro, 51 reviews, 54 photos
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luxor Intro, 41 reviews, 39 photos
- Becej Intro, 32 reviews, 33 photos
- Verona Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Budva Intro, 28 reviews, 30 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Topola Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Arandjelovac Intro, 23 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues