"Brussels" Brussels by dln6874

Brussels Travel Guide: 5,650 reviews and 11,941 photos

I did a one day trip to Brussels while I was living in Den Haag. The train ride is only like 2.5 hrs. Once there, I immediately got on a hop-on/hop-off tour bus. I was pretty beat from staying up late last night so I wasn’t in the mood to walk around too much. Besides, I had no idea where anything was, or what there was to even see. The tour was pretty good. It was an open top and the weather cooperated, so I got to take whole bunch of pictures from the bus. Half-way through the tour, a family came on, and the one woman who sat next to me was actually from Williamsburg! I hardly see Americans as it is, but what are the odds of the rare American sitting next to me and being from that area. I didn’t chat with her too long though as the tour ended shortly afterwards. She continued on to the rest of the tour, and I headed over to the center area – the Grand-Place Grote Market.

There is a nice gothic cathedral here. There was a band playing today in the plaza, and there was some sort of a parade in the streets. Many many tourists too. I also managed to find the peeing-boy by accident, and it turned out there was some special ceremony going on there at 4 today. Many tourists were there waiting for the pee boy to be revealed. I don’t understand why this little peeing statue is so famous. I guess they change the statue’s dressing/clothes every now and then. When the statue was finally revealed, everyone got all happy. All it did was pee, and squirt people once in a while. How silly. Reminds me of the massive number of observers that the clock in Munich gathered. At the end of the day, I picked up a kilo of chocolates and headed home.

• In a nutshell:Home of the Chocolates!
  • Last visit to Brussels: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 17, 2005

dln6874

“Travelling is a way of life - not a holiday”

Badges & Stats in Brussels

Have you been to Brussels?

Latest Activity in Brussels