"Petroglyph National Monument - Albuquerque NM" Petroglyph National Monument by MarkJochim
Petroglyph National Monument Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 49 photos
Petroglyph National Monument which lies on the western edge of Albuquerque contains more than 15,000 ancient rock drawings inscribed on the 17-mile-long volcanic escarpment. Archaeologists believe that the petroglyphs were carved between 1100 and 1600 AD.
Unfortunately, the city of Albuquerque has grown tremendously on the west side the past few years and homes now surround the National Monument. The city government would like to extend a major road through the center of the park, destroying many petroglyphs in the process. Although numerous citizens are opposed to this action, and protests do take place from time to time, I believe that eventually the local government will get approval for this road. They seem to be more interested in convenience and growth rather than preserving environment and history (it took them twenty years to build the very unpopular Montano Bridge, for example). It really is a shame.
MarkJochim's Related Pages
Petroglyph National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Voices of the Past"
- "Pre-history surrounded by the city"
- "Welcome to Petroglyph National Monument"
- "Petroglyph National Monument - Albuquerque NM"
- "Basaic Petroglyph National Moument Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petroglyph National Monument
- Transportation in Petroglyph National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Petroglyph National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petroglyph National Monument
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Petroglyph National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petroglyph National Monument
Top 10 Pages
- Albuquerque Intro, 45 reviews, 53 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Southampton Intro, 39 reviews, 56 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 27 reviews, 29 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 21 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenwich Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Beijing Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Acoma Pueblo Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taos Pueblo Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Chaco Canyon National Monument Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos